ad: M2Ant-1

Yaesu FT-70D First Impressions

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM6CND, Jul 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. OK1RP

OK1RP Ham Member QRZ Page

Chris
    did you turned off the radio before charging it? 70 does not support the charging while running with current f/w release unfortunatelly.
    Petr

2. OK1RP

There is so many missunderstandings about FT-70DR/DE...

Be noted:
    - 70 does not support batt charging while radio is ON
    - 1-9 bar indicating feature is supported only on US ver. 70DR
    - charging on display and red led is indicated then green led when ching finished is on 70DE only
    - Wires X is not supported with early f/w rev. of radios
    - mid power is about 3W although LOW is indicated in RX...do not swap with low 0.8W lvl!
    (both Low/Mid are indicated by LOW on disp in RX mode! Check bars in TX for proper setting)

Recommended:
    - update to latest f/w rev. 1.11 if not presented in radio yet
    FT-70DR/FT-70DE MAIN Ver. 1.11

It is adding features and fixing bugs:
    • The WIRES-X connection function is added
    • Added the DG-ID setting for the WIRES-X node station connection to the set mode menu (Set
      Mode: 63: W-DGID).
    • Corrected a rare case incomplete charge, and error indication, when charging a completely
      discharged battery.
      If you already have Main Ver. V1.11 firmware versions, it is not necessary to update the FT- 70DR/FT-70DE again.

Recommended Menu settings:

4 - OFF
      8 - OFF
      28 - 2SEC
      48 - 1S
      51 - OFF

73 - Petr, OK1RP

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    AG5DB likes this.
  3. OK1RP

Hi all

just FYI > lot of people said "no, it is not possible" to set radio for different rx and tx frequency in order to hop from 70cm to 2m while pressing ptt ...for example typical setup for satellite operation.

I can say YES, it is possible! Even although FT-70D has single VFO only, it is possible to use it for comfortable satellite operation with receiving on 70cm downlink then while pressing ptt transmitting on 2m band upling.

Maybe I will make some short video about that setting.

73 - Petr, OK1RP

4. N8GDX

N8GDX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had the same issue as others have reported, Like the radio, Don't like the battery performance.

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Without a "unboxing video," how will we EVER figure out how to use the radio?:eek::confused::rolleyes:

6. N8OOF

N8OOF Ham Member QRZ Page

Received mine a couple of days ago. I only bought this because I inherited the job of setting up and installing our clubs Fusion repeater. My wife and I own 5 Yaesu HTs, VX-1, 2 VX-5, and 2 VX-7. But I think Yaesu blew it on the FT-70. First is the quirky battery charging and less than informative charging display.

But the deal breaker to me is needing two hands to adjust the volume. Think of being at a public service event with varying background noise levels. Or, having a person come up to talk to you and needing to temporarily turn the volume down. Having to take the radio off of my belt and use two hands is completely unacceptable.

The fact is, this is easily changed in firmware. Yaesu could make volume be the default function for the knob and frequency be the function when the button is pressed. I think most people will adjust volume far more often than change frequency.

VA2SIB likes this.
  7. VA2SIB

VA2SIB Ham Member QRZ Page

I just bought an FT-70D (March 2019), and i'm also suprised and disapointed regarding the battery rapid depletion.
    Knowing that the charging capacity will continue to drop with age, it is not good news. For comparaison, my VX-5R bought in 2004 still as a respectable battery life.

8. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

...or at least how to remove it from the box? ;)

9. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I got one of these about a year ago, spent about 30 minutes trying to make it work, and threw it in a drawer. I remember vaguely having to plug in the USB cable with the battery out and then putting the battery back in and doing some key sequence... just to program it. That seemed silly.

10. KI5X

KI5X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The volume can easily be adjusted with one hand - the volume knob has large knurls to support it. Hold the transceiver in your right hand, thumb near the volume knob - and depending upon the size of your hand, press the volume button with either your ring or middle finger and spin the volume knob with your thumb. After 4 or 5 attempts, it'll be second nature.