Yaesu FT-70D First Impressions

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM6CND, Jul 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WA0MNA

WA0MNA Ham Member QRZ Page

Have had this HT for a while...battery ALWAYS says it wants charged. display battery icon never FULL. Three different new batteries and a trip back to Yaesu and no change. New battery they sent died in a couple days. 4th new battery still same deal, can't use unless hooked to seperate power source. When operated from a PS it works quite well, and I like the radio feel, looks. Output is only 4 watts with 12 volts, use it now with a brick amp in van. I like Fusion!!! Vance

2. W4LAC

W4LAC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I too have the FT-70D, purchased it new about a month ago. Initially I wasn't too concerned about the battery life, but now after reading all of the chatter I have taken note of exactly how short the charge life is on this 1800ma battery. I just purchased a new battery, and will try it this weekend. Other than that, I like the unit. Does anyone know if there's a way to adjust the backlight timer?

3. N0KEW

N0KEW Ham Member QRZ Page

There’s no way the batt is worse than the ft2.

Can yaesu do anything right? It appears not.

4. AD7I

AD7I Ham Member QRZ Page

The low battery life of the FT-70 can be explained by the specs for each radio (specs are at the back of each user manual)

FT-70
    RX, 180 mA
    Rx squelched, battery saver on, 70 mA
    radio off, 400 uA

FT-60
    RX, 125 mA
    Rx squelched, battery saver on, 19 mA
    radio off, 800 uA

Net result is...
    When squelched with battery saver ON the FT70 draws 3.7x more current than the FT-60
    When listening to an active QSO, the FT70 draws 1.4x more current than the FT-60

On TX the FT-70 draws a smidge more current than the FT-60, but I think for most users the heavy hitter on apparent battery life (or lack of battery life) will be the current draw when the radio is squelched with battery saver on.

5. W4LAC

W4LAC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess we wait now and see if Yaesu's RADAR picks up on this issue, and how fast the aftermarket battery mfg's come up with a higher ma/h battery for the unit.

6. N0KEW

N0KEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Not gonna happen. Yaesu gives not even one S about any of it.

7. AD7I

AD7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I think KN4QBH is spot on re after market batteries. The FT-70 clearly draws more current/power in standby and RX than conventional hand-helds. It's probably due to the fundamental architecture of the radio, so the solution for the FT-70 appears to be a bigger battery. In my own situation I'm looking at the possibility of an external pack of D size alkaline cells. Not an elegant solution, but sometime to hold me over until bigger batteries that are designed for the radio are available.

8. KC2OXJ

KC2OXJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am thinking about something along these lines as well. But instead of D cells, I'm looking at rechargeable lithium 12V battery packs available on Amazon. I found an 11000mAh battery pack (weighs 1.1 lbs) , and a 14200 mAh battery pack (weighs 2 lbs) compared to almost 3lb for a set of bulky 9xD alkalines. These also have USB charging for cell phones and are very compact (about 3"x6"x2").

9. W0XZ

W0XZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got my FT-70 yesterday. I plugged in the "slow charger" overnight and I think I noticed 2 bars of charge on it to begin with. When I woke up, expecting a full charge, it was showing 1 bar. I messed around with the plug and turned the radio on and off and eventually the radio said "CHGFUL". There was never any stepping up from 1 bar to 9 bars or whatever. I will have to keep an eye on it to see what is really going on. At this point it seems that the charging indicator part of the firmware/software is the issue and not so much the hardware.

10. OK1RP

OK1RP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all

I went thru all posts here and I am a bit surprised with so many complaints about the battery life of 70...

We have one 70DE at home, went thru menu to turn off all unnecessary features, increase Batt.Save from default 0.2 to 0.5 (now we are testing also setting to 1), power level set to mid (if not needed higher) or even to low when local chats and we have no problem to keep rig alive 5-8hrs...
    Yes, we have other radios with batt lasting longer but it does not make an issue to us.

The cons is impossibility to charge it while running and two-hand volume ctrl is a bit in-practicle let say...

In general its not bad.

73 - Petr, OK1RP

Btw: Did you ever measured the real power in mid and high steps? It is not Chinese 1.5W and 5W power (which is corresponding to 0.5 W and 2W in reality) We measured on calibrated R&S NAS power meter over 3.5W/mid and over 7.5W/high set on 2m band (combined uncertainty +/- 5% for k=2) with fully charged battery pack.

Btw2: Did someone measured batt voltage after rig turned off? Did someone calculated residual capacity of that accupack after rig turned off? I guess that radio is going off quite early and lot of capacity is never used... If so then it can be fixed by f/w release. Just 2c to...