Yaesu FT-60R

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KC2ROA, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KW4HKY

KW4HKY Ham Member QRZ Page

I really wish I had gone simpler on my first HT. The programming is pretty intense for a rookie.

If I buy a programming cable & driver, am I correct in my assumption that I can use any of the down-loadable programs & do all that through my PC?
    Is that any easier than using the keyboard on the FT-60R?
    Assuming all that works, can I clone all of that info to my 8800R?

I am having a hard time deleting all of the memory duplications for some reason. I follow the book instructions, and it will delete the first try, but after that it refuses to delete another.

As for the performance, I upgraded to a Diamond rubber duck and that was wasted money. I can hit the 2 closet repeaters near me, but that's it. If I hook it up via splitter to my Comet 790A, it is outstanding.

I was wondering if I bought on of those small Chinese single magnet mounts and put on top of my filing cabinet if that would work as well for indoors?

I could also use it on my 2nd story deck m placing it on top of my huge SS grill.

I'm open to suggestions on indoor antennas. I thought of buying another Comet for my deck and using a single magnet on the grill, since I know it works great. I hate spending another $90 if the $10 Chinese antenna will work since it's a part time rig. I thought of just getting the magnet mount and taking the Comet off my truck, but I don't think all that removing and attaching will wear it out soon.

Thanks for all the help folks.

2. NM8W

NM8W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Another rookie here. I ordered a FT-60R as my first radio. It should be arriving tomorrow. Once I get it charged up, listen for awhile, and then key it up, I'll post my review.

3. KF7JKO

KF7JKO Ham Member QRZ Page

I to am going to buy the FT-60R but I am reading thoughts about the antenna and to get another one in place of the stock one.

Can someone offer a choice for a replacement antenna?

Thanks,
    Jim

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Comet SMA-24. I can hit the club repeater from about 20 miles away sitting in my easy chair. I did good to hit a local repeater with the factory antenna.

I've been working some satellites with an Elk dual-band yagi standing out in the driveway. Not bad for a 5-way radio.

5. KF7JKO

KF7JKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you,

6. KB1QZY

KB1QZY Ham Member QRZ Page

Just bought one today from HRO, im sure ill like. Last one i owned, was a 2SAT...lol

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.