Yaesu FT-60R

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KC2ROA, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC2ROA

KC2ROA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi gang:
    Anyone have any first impressions on ease or lack thereof of programabilty
    for the Yeasu FT-60R? Any info would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    RK from NJ

2. PH5E

PH5E Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu FT-60R Reviews

Hi,

There are 2 reviews here: Yaesu FT-60R Reviews

Hope this helps

73, Elmer - ph5e

3. W7JCJ

W7JCJ Guest

I have a FT-60 and love it. Audio quality is great and programming is fairly easy. I am able to get into most of the local machines around here, sitting on my couch using the stock antenna.

Battery life seems to be pretty good 2 to 3 days if mostly rx.

I believe this is a great little HT for the money. I would recommend it :)

4. KJ4OPC

KJ4OPC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had one about 4 or five months and can say I love it as well. There are some functions that are more annoying to progrram but that is the odd stuff not used much. Most things are simple and the radio works very well. I accidentally tested the durability as it flew out of my hand onto concrete bounced and rolled, one little scuff on it and that's it. Battery life is very good for an HT.

Seems to me to be about the most bang for the buck, some can do more but you pay for that as well.

Neal

5. KE7VLC

KE7VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Great radio. I would definately get a different rubber duck antenna with it but other then that the FT-60R is a great radio...very durable, not to hard to program...especially if you have the cloaning cable and another radio or the FT programing software....which is free.

My only regret so far is that I didn't get a mobile rig first. But thats about it. I love it and take it hiking, camping, boating and Public Service events and so far it has not failed me.

I would get the extra AA battery holder along with a different antenna, and possibly the speakermic for the radio as well.

6. KB6M

KB6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I like mine alot. Great battery life, and durable. My only complaint is the speaker/mic connector has no threads or latches. It pulls out too easily. I JB Welded a small ring to the side of the radio, just above the mic jack. I then used a small cable tie to fasten the plug to the radio. Problem solved.

7. K9ZMD

K9ZMD Subscriber QRZ Page

My FT-60 goes intermittently/randomly into transmit all by itself when I have the speaker/mic plugged in. I've read that others have had that problem, too. Unknown if it is the fault of the radio or the speaker/mic. Anyone here experience this behavior with theirs?

8. KF7HHD

KF7HHD Ham Member QRZ Page

yes, I have had this problem. it was caused by the speaker mike not being fully plugged in even though it seemed like it was. I found that the little rubber protector was keeping me from fully seating the speaker mike plug. I had to twist the rubber protector sideways 90 degrees in order to get it out of the way enough to fully seat the plug. hope this helps!

9. KJ6AIU

KJ6AIU QRZ Member

FT-60R

I'm still new to the ham world.. My first rig is a FT-60R. I purchased it in June. For me it's very easy to program.

My only complaint is the ext mic/speak plug. If it slides out at all it will transmit. The best way I've found to combat this is to to the plug and run the mic cord between the belt clip and battery. That way it won't slide out.

It was a toss up on using the FT-60R or a 7900 as a first radio.. I was actually not a happy camper and found that I never used the FT-60 as a true "HT" and always had it plugged into my J-pole or my mobile antenna.

On that note I did just purchase an 8900 so now I can use the 60r for just HT purposes..

10. SV9ZP

SV9ZP QRZ Member

Yaesu Ft 60R

Hi all,
    This is my first attempt to this forum, so if I make a wrong post, please forgive me.
    Well I live in Europe, and I am going to buy in the coming days, this HT.
    My question concerns the available versions, E (european) or EXP, as advertised on the Asian nets.
    Does anyone know any technical differencies, so this will help me to make the right decision ?

Merry Christmas & happy new year
    sv9zp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.