Yaesu FT-60R vs. the Baofeng...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N3KGD, Mar 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WANNABHAM2

WANNABHAM2 QRZ Member

Hi all, I'm just starting out and will be going for my Tech in Jan. I have been looking at beginner handhelds to get started and the two I am contemplating are the Baofeng BF F8HP and the Yaesu FT-60R. I will have to save up a little more for the Yaesu and that's ok. My concern is, buying it and it being discontinued since it's been around so long. Do you all think it's still a good radio to start with or is there maybe something newer but on par with the 60R you might recommend?

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Both radios are OK. The BF F8HP will not really output 8 watts, But would make a nice first radio.

I would not worry about a radio becoming discontinued, They will still work fine.

WANNABHAM2 likes this.
  3. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wouln't worry about discontinuation. As far as service, the FT-60 is in the running for the longest-in-production HT in the ham world, meaning there are spares around on the used market even if Yaesu discontinues production tomorrow. But the radio keeps making money for them, so I don't think it'll be discontinued right away.

I can't think of another radio that is unambiguously better than the FT-60 for a ham who wants a rugged, easy-to-use, FM VHF/UHF HT. I slightly prefer my VX-6 because it is smaller and submersible, but my VX-6 doesn't make full power with AA alkalines, doesn't have a dedicated squelch knob, and costs significantly more than the FT-60, so I have no problem giving the FT-60 a solid recommendation.

Eventually, there may be a model or two with some form of digital voice (as well as FM) that is as rugged and simple to use as the FT-60, at a competitive price. I don't think that day has come yet, but it seems to be close.

In the meantime, you won't go far wrong with the FT-60.

WANNABHAM2 likes this.
  4. WANNABHAM2

WANNABHAM2 QRZ Member

Thanks for the help! I am leaning more toward the Yaesu anyway and that really makes my decision that much more easier. :)

5. KB7WG

KB7WG Ham Member QRZ Page

Buy the CCR first. It is more likely to to forgotten, stolen, lost or dropped. Later, when you want to replace and try a "quality" radio, you will see if the money is worth it for yourself.