Yaesu FT-60 USB-TTL DIY programming cable

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KJ7DKD, Mar 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KJ7DKD

KJ7DKD Ham Member QRZ Page

I had searched around the past few weeks and couldn't find any definitive info on this even though this radio has been around for some time. I recently picked up this radio and decided to make my own cable (well proto-typed with a breadboard). I used this "cable" yesterday and downloaded the "image" file from the radio to my computer using the CHIRP software. I have not uploaded an image to the radio just yet.

Basically, the communication connection goes from the computer, through the FTDI USB connector to the TRRS plug (Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve) to the radio using only 2 conductors on the TRRS (radio side). The FT-60 TTL is at 3.3VDC, not 5VDC. You can see in the service manual schematic that the "main" (biggest) chip in the radio has TXD2 and RXD2 tied together, which is why TXD and RXD are connected in parallel to the TRRS plug. The connections from the FTDI to the TRRS are simple and only use GROUND, TXD and RXD. Pins 4 (TXD) and 5 (RXD) from the FTDI cable are connected in parallel and connect to the "Ring" conductor just below the "Tip" conductor (assuming a Tip is up, Sleeve is down orientation of the plug). Pin 1 (GND) from the FTDI cable goes to the "Sleeve" conductor. The pins and wire colors below are based on the specific cables I used. As always, it's good practice to verify your own cables/colors/conductors before wiring anything. I've attempted to show a cable "pinout" in the area below with the use of the dash or minus symbol (-).

TRRS plug (male)###############FTDI-USB wires

Tip-not used
    Ring-data/clone (white)-------------------4 TXD (orange), 5 RXD (yellow) [these two in parallel]
    Ring-not used
    Sleeve-ground (black)----------------------1 GROUND (black)

NOTE: There is a specific sequence to follow when "cloning" the radio. These steps were prompted on the screen when using the CHIRP software. I did have some minor trouble getting the radio to clone to the computer at first and it took about 3 or 4 tries. I'm not sure why, but I think it may have been due to the fact that the TRRS wires were loosely fit into the breadboard.

Parts/software used for connection:
    Yaesu FT-60 HT radio
    Sparkfun FTDI cable 3.3V I/O (part number: DEV-09717)
    Sparkfun Audio cable, TRRS-18 inch pigtail (part number: CAB-11580)
    CHIRP software (recent March 2020 version)
    Windows 10 OS
    Mini breadboard and hookup wires (to test first)

References:
    CHIRP wiki
    Sparkfun FTDI 3.3V I/O datasheet
    Sparkfun Audio cable, TRRS, datasheet
    FT-60 schematic in service manual
    FT-60 manual, page 65

* As always, I thought this would be a quick and simple "pinout" post. I tend to write too much rather than too little in the hopes that there will be fewer misunderstandings.

2. AE0LZ

AE0LZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks!
    Seems to have worked for me too.

3. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

Great information. I scoured the internets for a DIY cable myself, and found a pinout using the 5V, along with using a diode at the RX pin. I used the 3.3V myself, as well, but found that I did not need to connect any voltage pins for the programming to actually work. I used a chinese UART that used the CP2102 chip.

I also used an old school Serial-TTL adapter, and it worked well, too.

I think you're the first I've seen state the FT-60 is at 3.3V. That's good to know.

My post, just a few months after yours:
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/homebrew-programing-cables-ft-60-uv-5r-ic-2730a.707912/

Also, if you have an Arduino, those can be used as UARTs as well - there is a sketch in the examples folder. Very useful!

'73