ad: M2Ant-1

Yaesu FT-5DR MARS mod

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KD9TCO, Sep 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, well at least it keeps you off the streets at night,,,

KD9TCO likes this.
  2. KA3TJI

KA3TJI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Look at all the fun we wouldn't have if we didn't mod our radios. We would lose out on not being able to stimulate the net nannies. We came together and all the mod haters got nurtured and should be happy they got stimulated. This was way to easy, maybe I should start stimulating the price police in the Swap Meet forum?

Well, it's because us low budget hams have to stick with those cookie cutter IC-7610s. One day when we hit the Power Ball we will own one of them there new fangled rigs and finally be able to hob knob with the upper crusty.

KD9TCO likes this.
  3. KA3TJI

It's all in fun. Look at it this way, it's my contribution to the ham community by being a pen pal to the lonely hearts out here that seek attention.

4. N8VIL

N8VIL Ham Member QRZ Page

One could just buy a Baofung or TYT radio and no mods needed. Easy Peasy :)

5. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Not even close.

Ten-Tec and Elecraft made you display proof of eligibility before they'd release a PROM which allowed their radios to transmit outside the amateur allocations. Free to anyone who needs it, but you have to prove that "need" up front.

The rest...is merely a mixture of whackerism and freebanding, regardless of who attempts to spin or justify it differently.

WG7X, N3AB and N8VIL like this.
  6. KA3TJI

Cool! I can respect a manufacturer that takes the extra step to lock down their radios. I bought my IC-9700 for its tight front end on the amateur bands. No need to modify that radio. Now, if out of band users irritate you so much you might want to talk to the big three and have them lock down their radios.

KD9TCO likes this.
  7. AC1HH

AC1HH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

8. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

That way the warranty is still in effect even though the $15/hour counter person snips your diode. Like buying an extended warranty on your new tv at Walmart.

9. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

I could care less about your "MARS MOD"

.....but transmitting without a 50ohm load is enough to warrant the rettysnitch !

[​IMG]

KD9TCO likes this.
  10. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to do the WERS mod to transmit on 112 MHz. It's not currently authorized, but I want to be ready in case they bring it back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.