Yaesu FT-5DR MARS mod

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KD9TCO, Sep 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why cringe?
    Because a "MARS mod" is usually not for MARS, it should really be called a "freeband" mod because we all understand that the mod is really not going to be used on MARS. It's done mostly because some folks just can't help themselves and they want to hot rod or somehow improve the operation of their radio. As if they were actual Electrical engineers and not just another hobbyist fooling around just to see what happens.

It's the same reason why we read so many posts lately where the OP tried to upgrade software or firmware in a completely fine radio only to "brick" the thing. Happens a lot and then they come here looking for a fix.

But back to the "MARS mod" thing: my favorite lately was the EU ham, from Switzerland I think it was who tried the Mars modification or was looking for info on it. He was using the terminology "MARS mod" without understanding that Military Auxiliary Radio is a USA thing, intended for the US Army and Air Force at the beginning and then branching out to include the NAVY, Marines, Coast Guard and other US military. Not an European program.

If they're gonna mess around with their radios, possibly screwing them up beyond belief, let them be honest about their intent without trying to lend legitimization to their efforts, OK?

BTW, just for info, I was US ARMY MARS at AAM5USA at Ft. Sill Oklahoma for one summer way back when. Really enjoyed that. Made me want to go Signal Corp. Unfortunately for me, I was locked into my primary MOS and could not change.

OH, poop! I went civilian shortly after that, so what the heck!

W7UUU likes this.
  2. KA3TJI

KA3TJI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems to me your issue is more to do with behavioral issues more so than the mod itself. Look at it this way, if the people that have the mod use it responsibly and never transmit out of band, which would make the purpose of the mod moot, why all the emotional distress? Hams are held to a higher standard than CB'ers, so give them a bit of slack before lumping them all in one category. Punish the lawbreakers instead of the responsible people.

3. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Then why mod the radio in the first place?

It's working as intended as it comes from Yaesu.

N3AB, WD4DXQ, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.
  4. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

The bolded has exactly zero to do with the radio that's the subject of the thread; this coming from someone who has modded MANY rigs to obtain coverage of new amateur bands which were legalized long after said rigs were built.

But all of us know that.

5. KA3TJI

If a person wants to mod or not, it is their choice. Just because one mods a radio doesn't mean they have to transmit out of band. And there doesn't have to be a logical reason. They bought the radio and if they don't break the law it's none of anyone's business why.. The whole point here is there are to many net nannies with to much time on their hands worrying and criticizing others for something that doesn't affect or concern them.

KD9TCO and N8VIL like this.
  6. KA3TJI

Why isn't his comment valid? A modded radio is a modded radio. He's just using it within the boundaries of his license class.

7. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2021-9-19_12-14-47.jpeg

8. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

As @N8YX said: Why then do the mod in the first place? I don't buy the excuse you gave above. How can they "use it responsibly"? That makes no sense at all. If they use the mods to the radio, by definition they are breaking the law. Is that responsible?

Exactly my point! If we're held to a higher standard, then why advocate for "MARS mods" that will be used at all? And they will use them; no rationalizations will convince me of that.

Remember, we're talking about a VHF/UHF handheld radio, not an HF radio that might need a modification to get on a newly allocated band, although HF radios get illegal "Freeband" mods too...

Your turn: I can't wait to see what flimsy rationalization you'll come up with next!

N3AB likes this.
  9. KA3TJI

The mod is a much needed feature to drag out the net nannies from the woodwork and give them purpose in life. Unfortunately I'm at work bored out of my mind and what way to pass the time giving someone else purpose? And all this being done without transmitting out of band or even turning the radio on. Looks like a win-win.

KD9TCO and N8VIL like this.
  10. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Because the radio works fine for use within the boundaries his license class as delivered from Yaesu.

Here's a brain teaser for everyone playing along: Why don't you hear many (if any) Elecraft K3s and Ten-Tec Orions on 11M?

N3AB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.