Yaesu FT-5DR MARS mod

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KD9TCO, Sep 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Name them.

N3AB likes this.
  2. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Until the weekend comes, I pay the entry fee for the track day, then spend about four hours lapping a road course as fast as I want. There are legitimate uses for a 1000 HP Sports car. There are not, any longer, legitimate uses for modified amateur equipment.

NG1H likes this.
  3. KA3TJI

KA3TJI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course there is a use to fully enjoy the capabilities of the car on the track, but you're not going to get the same exhilaration on public roads with it. If you are then it might be a trailer queen you wax every weekend and brag how powerful it is. As for the MARS mod, sure there's a legitimate use for it, you get to say you have it just like you would with a sports car that never gets driven to its full potential.

4. KA3TJI

Name what? I'll let all the people that have too much time on their hands play that game.

5. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing I own is a trailer or safe queen and seldom do they get waxed. My Durango SRT was a daily driver and if I can find one I plan on upgrading it to the 2021 Hellcat Redeye. Not quite 1k HP but pretty close. See the thing about a sports "car" is not just the raw power. The handling on twisty back roads even within the speed is a thrill itself.

Bragging is not a "use".

Civil Air Patrol is the only group that maintains a list of NTIA compliant radios. On the NTIA approved HF list there is exactly one amateur radio. It is only acceptable with the the optional TCXO. AND its VHF section is NOT compliant.
    https://comm.capnhq.gov/equipment/hf_summary.cfm

Looking at the VHF list there are no modified amateur radios that are compliant.
    https://comm.capnhq.gov/equipment/vhf_summary.cfm

Morals and ethics, something that seems to be lacking in modern society.

NG1H, N8VIL, W4ZGC and 1 other person like this.
  6. N8VIL

N8VIL Ham Member QRZ Page

I performed the extended transmit mod on my Icom IC-735 to play with the five 60 meter channels. Some may use the extra TX range if needed for transverter use. Other than that I don't see any other reason unless your traveling to Mars.

I don't like the term "MARS mod" Makes me cringe. Say what it is : Extended transmit modification

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  7. N8VIL

N8VIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Years ago (1999-2000) I had a ham friend that was using a spare modified Kenwood 2 meter radio he programmed with the marine frequencies in place of a marine VHF radio on his boat. I convinced him to buy an actual marine radio as the 2 meter radio was not "type accepted" and built for a marine environment. I also told him it was easier to use and he did purchase a marine radio for his boat. I was a bit dumbfounded that I had to explain this to him

8. KA3TJI

See, you just proved my point. You proudly just listed the inventory in your stable, which I really didn't need to know for you to get your point across. But anyway, I sincerely hope that you will not tell me you NEVER exceeded the speed limit on public highways, even "accidentally" as it seems to happen a lot. As for "morals and ethics" it seems that everyone is okay with breaking the laws they disagree with. Bottom line, the MARS mod is here to stay whether we like it or not. Like I said before, it's none of my business what people do with their radios. When all the moral puritans and police fix their backyard first then they can preach "morals and ethics" to us unwashed. Maybe devote some of this moral energy to fix DC and the southern border would be a better use of it?

9. "Handling on twisty back roads" for a thrill?

Get a motorcycle, 200 horses will be blatant overkill.

"Bragging is not a "use"."

Subjective, though you seem to enjoy it.

"Morals and ethics, something that seems to be lacking in modern society."

We agree finally, in fact the fcc doesn't go too far enough!

People who modify their amateur radios to transmit on FRS frequencies at a half watt are MORAL DEGENERATES who should not only be fined, but then flogged in the street and have their home taken by the state!

Finding them will be a problem though, unless the unusually clean emissions can be used to distinguish an FT-5DR from a Cobra He150g(16 mile range!)

KF0BBU and KD9TCO like this.
  10. KA3TJI

Why cringe? A MARS mod is exactly what it is stated to be. Back in the early 90s I held an Air Force MARS license and proudly used it on my modified radios. I really don't know if the MARS service is still being used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.