Yaesu FT-5DR MARS mod

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KD9TCO, Sep 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Add to your list that this model, like 99% of the ham models out there, cannot be used for MARS.

N3AB likes this.
  2. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't think that military comms fell under the jurisdiction of the FCC.

3. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

NTIA/DoD.

4. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And the list of the whole 2 or 3 radios that are approved is published. And never seem to be the ones that people want to do "MARS mods" on.

N3AB likes this.
  5. W4ZGC

W4ZGC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

or the CAP. No hobbyist/amateur radios are authorized, only modern P25 LMR radios are on the approved list, yet certain ham dealers peddle their "MARS/CAP" modification as a "service" to customers.
    The bible for CAP certification testing can be found here for those who actually want to know:
    https://comm.capnhq.gov/equipment/equipment.cfm

You'll notice absolutely ZERO current market amateur VHF/UHF gear are on the APPROVED list. Mike drop.

I am sure the "in the event of an emergency" drivel will drone on now...

N3AB likes this.
  6. KA3TJI

KA3TJI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure what all the fuss is about? Who needs a 1,000 HP sports car on public roads as you'll never be able to enjoy and legally utilize its designed for capabilities? Maybe it's just bragging rights or having the mod to say you have it. Because you can't "legally" use it unless you are a MARS member. And really, who gives a rat's rectum what a person does with their radio? At the end of the day, if it is used illegally than they will pay the fines.

7. W4ZGC

because part of being a good operator is giving a rat's rectum about the rules. All the rhetoric doesn't change the facts. More and more everyday, the piss poor collective attitude of the ham community reminds me while in professional circles, eyes roll and people RUN far away. At one time, there was something known as RESPECT. Slice it anyway you want, there is no legitimate reason to do stuff like this other than to be a WHACKER. Period.

WG7X and N3AB like this.
  8. KA3TJI

Well, one thing I learned long ago is that I'm only responsible for myself and my family. If you think I'm going to have an aneurysm because somebody wants to modify their radio, you're energy is misplaced and wasted. Hey, if you want to be that lone salmon swimming upstream beating your head off the rocks to bust a nut, by all means, knock yourself out. Us hams have more important things to consume our time like being bitter and hateful because they removed the code requirement for becoming a ham. Bottom line, it's not my fight. You don't like what people do, turn them in. I got more important things to do like chasing DX and building antennas. Have fun with the hobby.

9. W4ZGC

I could care less what you or anyone else does. As you said, everyone is responsible for his/her actions, choices and consequences.
    Just be aware that consequences do exist and they are often far reaching. As this is the Internet, my purpose is to provide factual information so folks can make the right choices.

When one knows better, they should do better.

10. KA3TJI

I can agree with that. Yes, if they use the radio out of band over the air they will have to face the consequences, as they should. I've always said, it's not if they get caught it's when. On the other hand, if someone wants to take a radio and use it as a cheap signal generator into a dummy load, I see no problem with that because they aren't creating interference. I'm sure there are many legitimate and legal uses for the mod. I'm not going to judge someone because they modded their radio, none of my business.

KD9TCO and W4ZGC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.