Yaesu FT-450D won't turn back on....

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AD0BY, Aug 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. AD0BY

AD0BY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a question about my Yaesu FT-450D that I am hoping someone can answer. I have used this radio for a few years and has always worked as intended. Recently I purchased a Ameritron AL-811H amp. with a Heathkit SA-2060 tuner. I am using an Ameritron ARB-704 amplifier to transceiver interface. Everything works great, tuner, amp, radio, no problems transmitting, receiving or anything else for that matter, except for one little semi-aggravating problem.

If I am shutting down and I shut the radio down I cannot turn it back on. All I will hear is a click from inside the radio, no lights, display, anything. I discovered that if I turn the Alinco DM-330MV power supply and then turn it back on, the radio comes on and I everything returns to normal. I did discover that if I unplug the cable that goes from the radio to the 704, I can turn the radio off and on with no problems, which leads me to believe it is something with the 704 or maybe a setting in the radio that isn't correct.

I talked to a friend of mine who has almost the same setup and he informs me that his does the same thing occasionally. Mine does it every single time. He has an 811 amp. and a 704 interface also.

This isn't a huge problem, but I know something is just not right and was wondering if anyone had run into this same problem and if so, what they had done about it. Thanks and 73!

Ron
    ADØBY

2. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

When is the last time you checked the fuses in the power cable going to the 450? I clean and re-seat the fuses on mine every month or so. The 450 is very particular about this.

3. AD0BY

Well, till you posted this I have never checked them. So, I went in removed them, cleaned the spades up and re-seated them, but unfortunately no cigar as it still does the same thing. Odd too that my buddies set up does the same thing. Hopefully it will be a setting in the menu, although I have looked through it and can't find anything I think would pertain to that issue. Too, like I said, it isn't that big of a deal, but one of those that make you go hummmm. Anyway, thanks for the tip and I will keep an eye on that too.

4. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

what does the 704 do?..hookup..?

5. AD0BY

Yes, the 704 works normally. In fact, everything works as it should.

6. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry that didn't help. However, it really is a good idea to check the fuses regularly. I have an issue with my 450 a couple of months ago. It would receive just fine, but it would shut down/restart when ever I tried to transmit. The cause was a fues that wasn't seated properly in the holder....

Hope you get the problem solved!

AD0BY likes this.
  7. W9WQA

if you unplug 704,??

8. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe contact Rodolfo N6PET ??
    Appears he has the same setup: https://n6pet.com/phase-4-600w-ameritron/
    Also he says to not use the Radio or Power connections on the ARB-704.
    Is that the Radio connection you say you are unplugging?
    Just a thought.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  9. W9WQA

if the radio works barefoot, the 704 connection is the problem!!! un hook it and see!!

10. AD0BY

If I unplug the 704 the radio turns off and on correctly.