Yaesu FT-450D receive audio is terrible sounding

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by NR2K, Apr 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NR2K

NR2K Ham Member QRZ Page

All the DSP features are off, and the receive audio quality sounds like a old telephone handset.. void of any decent bass/treble. This also makes SSTV signals not come through clean. Any suggestions on what to adjust to make the sound 'better'? Yes, I've tried other speakers and all sound identical (any sound great on other radio's)

2. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep. It's a known issue with that rig. I would not own one. Ever.
    It's one of those situations where you get what you pay for...

Personally, I've always been partial to Kenwood HF radio audio.
    It's pleasing and can be listened to for extended periods without feeling violated or being fatigued.

Moreover, it's one of the major factors why I still own and use a TS-850S and a TS-520S -- pleasing audio on both receive and transmit.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    KW6LA likes this.
  3. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that you know why NL7W would never buy a 450 let me suggest something that may actually help you. Have you tried a factory reset? Assuming there is no real problem with the radio (and BTW, there are thousands of them out there doing just fine...used to have one myself) there may be a "hidden" parameter that you have overlooked or not adjusted. If factory reset doesn't clean things up you may have an issue. Give it a try.

N4UP and N3PM like this.
  4. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I concur. Especially if you just bought it. How's it sound with headphones?
    Mike N3PM

5. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Check Mic Gain
    Make sure Processor is off when testing

It's a solid rig....I own one. I hope you find the problem. Please report back.

6. NL7W

Do you own one?

Apparently, you don't know this radio. I've sat in front of this one at different Field Day events across the country with the same results -- from 1A to 4A events.

Its close-in dynamic range and disturbing audio characteristics are not a fluke or a one-off -- they are not a matter of a "reset." These unacceptable receive issues, along with an obscene 3rd-order transmit IMD of -25 dB, are indicative of a less-than-stellar design and implementation.

This is definitely the case of getting what one pays for these days. In fact, I cannot think of a current HF radio I would "enjoy" less today. It's that bad...

I cordially ask the owner to shop around for another rig. One cannot put lipstick on this pig...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  7. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I did own one and used it a lot for about 3 or 4 years. My reset suggestion was based on the theory that the OP might not be familiar with and/or have inadvertently misadjusted one or more audio settings (of which there are several as I'm sure you know). The 450 has proven to be a great radio in it's price range. Did you ever consider that perhaps it was the most radio the OP could buy...that surely was my criteria back a few years ago. Your original comments did nothing to help the OP's issue. Your opinions are of course your own but it appears you witnessed several defective, or, improperly adjusted, 450s. I stand by my comment..."thousands of users can't be wrong".
    Regards, MU
    PS. Miss Piggy wears lipstick...so you're wrong there too.

WB0MPB likes this.
  8. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes I owned for several years the only one that was ever any good!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    It was a fantastic radio. I am glad I got the only one that ever worked. :D:D:D:D

9. NL7W

Everyone has an opinion... ;)

10. M7DGY

M7DGY Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not saying that they are the best radios by any means but I bought an FT 450D at the beginning of the year as I have limited access to funds and I couldn't be happier with it, and the sound quality is absolutely fine with mine with or without an external speaker. I am not a technical guy but you may have a well known problem that was more prevalent on some of the older FT450 models. It could be due to a bad grounding of the front panel, which then affects the sound as it let's in noise to the audio circuitry.
    Hope this may help