Yaesu FT-450d Question.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by 2E0LPL, Sep 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. 2E0LPL

2E0LPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for that test Neil, thats very good of you...I'm not sure if its reassuring or not considering I was only using SSB voice rather than your 100% FT8.

When I took the top cover off the radio some weeks ago I notice an alloy heat sink running around the whole chassis...its quite near the side covers.

But I thought it odd that the heat was concentrated along the right side.

I am a born worrier...maybe I should takle up stamp collecting?

2. 2E0LPL

Hi John the QSO was SSB voice...all the heat is concentrated on just the right sise of the radio...I dont use digital modes.

3. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Nick, I just looked at your profile page, and saw you have your 450 sitting against the wall of your shack. You should actually move it forward a couple of inches. Having the cooling fan that close to the wall can impede airflow through the rig. Also, keep the vents on the top of the rig clear. Just a thought...

4. 2E0LPL

Bit of an optical illusion...its a good 3 ins away....

But thank you for your comment.

5. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd still move it out further. With only 3 inches of clearance, you could actually be blowing hot air back into the rig...

6. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting key on the right side of the desk. Is that home-brew?

7. 2E0LPL

Very home brew...its the mk 1 version....well spotted.

8. 2E0LPL

Your right...I will give it a try further away.

9. 2E0LPL

Had the rigs top which is also half of the side cover off again today...I notice its secured direct with 2 screws to the alloy heat sink.

10. 2E0LPL

Been having this discussion on a 450d facebook group...seems I'm not the only one having this worry over my 450d.

One guy who went into is more deeply took a thermal image of the 450 after a bit of hard use...I will post it hopefully.

All the same area mines get hot...or warm depending on your view.

Attached Files: