Yaesu FT-450d Question.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by 2E0LPL, Sep 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. 2E0LPL

2E0LPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all...I have a FT-450d its only a few months old...I notice if I am transmitting for longer than a short QSO the right-hand side of the radio gets quite warm...42 deg c in a 20 deg c room.

I have been having a few longer than usual for me rag chews on 80m SSB voice of late...each over lasting 2 mins or more.

The Whole QSO may last 20mins+

I use a 43mt long doublet antenna with a perfect 1-1 match.

The heat in mainly down the whole right side and nowhere eles...I find it very worrying.

Looking under the top cover the finals are inboard from the side panel...

Can anybody give me any advice who may have a similar radio.

Make me nervous using the radio.

2. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine gets fairly hot in tx the fan runs on occasions I hear the fan increase speed when it gets really hot, I dont worry too much there is thermal protection in circuit which will cut down power
    although i run mine at 100 watts not sure what its like at 50 watts
    btw the chassis is designed as a heat sink

M0DPX likes this.
  3. 2E0LPL

2E0LPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Neil....is the right side that gets hot.
    When I key the mike I hear the fan speed increase..but not massively.

4. G0JUR

cant say I have took much notice of the sides, i will go have a play on ft8 (100% duty) for a while and report back l8r

5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don’t have a 450 and I haven’t noticed excessive heat with my 950. But I had an older FT840 that used to get pretty hot. I put a small fan behind it to get a little more air moving around it.

Is there enough space for ventilation around and over the radio ?

W4NNF likes this.
  6. G0JUR

ok I have run ft8 for 10 mins at 50 watts the right hand side about 2 inches behind the front panel started getting warm to the touch, personally I wouldnt be overly concerned, modern rigs do tend to run hot, think about it if you get 50% efficiency from the PA at 100 watts out thats roughly 200 input so the chassis has to dissipate 100 watts. I just know someone is going to come and pronounce that the pa is more than 50 % efficient, bias class and all that, well I know that, but for ease of clarity for Nick the OP I am talking generally not absolutes,

7. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

K3EY likes this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't have a 450 but instead use a IC7410. I have a couple of those little cheap temperature sensors and use one in the xcvr and one on the PS. I operate FT8 frequently at 50% power and the rig heating seems to be a non-issue. My ambient temp is around 28C most of the time and the rig doesn't tip 40C.
    The power supply is a different case altogether. Its the Icom IC-2PS. I recognize that it might be on the puny side for 100% full power operation with this rig but I don't ever do that. It heats up quite a bit at even 50% and I have some external fans trained on it to keep it in the 40sC. The sensor is firmly clipped onto the heat sink.
    I think OPs 42C is quite acceptable but it might be worth checking the PS and see how it is doing. I had some failures in the past that drew my attention to the heating factor.

9. K4AGO

10. K4AGO

You mention 20 minute QSO's in your post. My first question to you would be what mode are your QSO's in? If you are speaking of phone, your radio should not get uncomfortably hot with 100Watts out. I would not consider 42C as being uncomfortably hot. That is warm, yes, but not hot.

If you are QSOing in a digital mode, the FT450D is not rated at 100% duty cycle at 100 WATTS. Page 76 of the FT450D manual tells you to reduce power to 1/3 or 1/2 power for 100% duty cycle digital modes. I personally do not and do not think anyone should ever use over 25 watts for FT8. I run 10 watts on FT8 with my FT900. The more power you use, the more bandwidth you occupy. FT8 is a weak signal mode.

I own two FT450D's an FT900 and an FT950. I have never seen (although their may be some) any transceiver that is 100% duty cycle at full power with any digital mode.

It pays to be cautious. I salute you for being observant. But, I honestly do not think you have a problem.

If you do find that you have a problem, Please post your finding on this thread. I will be interested in what is happening.

The FT450D is a great transceiver and has many features that come at extra cost on most other transceivers. I personally think you made a great choice in purchasing your FT450D.

73 John