ad: cq2k-1

Yaesu FT-450 vs. Kenwood TS-570DG vs. other (quick help needed)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by OK1BIL, Nov 30, 2011.

?

What would you buy for about $1000?

1. Kenwood TS-590

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. Icom IC-746

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. Yaesu FT-450

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. OK1BIL

OK1BIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi guys,

Sorry for the topic name but the seller wants to know my decision today or tommorow.

I got an offer to buy used Kenwood TS-570DG (manufactured 2000) for about $850. I talked to friends at our ham radio club and they say that 11 years old radio is not worth $850. Some recommended buying new Yaesu FT-450 for about $880. Others said that FT-450 is complete rubbish. So I don't really now which one should I buy. Or if I should buy something other (they also recommended Icom IC-746, but thats different price level).

So what would you do?

I already have Yaesu FT-857D but I want to use it for portable operation exclusively. I don't want to plug/unplug all the cables every time I go out.
    I also have an old Yaesu FT-77 in the shack, which I am currently using, so almost any newer radio will be upgrade.

What I want to do is to make some SSB, PSK, Hell, JT65 QSOs and maybe in future CW and RTTY. I want to make some DXes but contest usage is out of consideration. I also don't plan to use any amplifier.

If I want to participate in a contest or make difficult DX I can always go to the club and use monobanders, amplifiers, IC-756PRO, FT-1000MkV,....

My price limit is $1000.

Any advice will be appreciated.

EDIT: One more thing. It seems very suspicious to me that new FT-450 costs same price as used radios. Where is the problem?

2. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The original FT450 has been replaced by the FT450D which addressed the concerns and is not a bad radio. I think many people don't like the fact that a lot of functions are in menus and not on a knob on the front panel. There was a DXpedition, T32C, that ended up having to use FT450Ds with quickly put up 1/4 wave antennas when a shipping container got held up. Didn't stop them making seriously stupid amounts of DX contacts. http://www.t32c.com/Equipment

The Kenwood TS480SAT is $929, the 200W HX version is $1,129.

However those are prices in the USA so I'm not sure what they are where you live.

Used prices opens up a different league. You can buy under 1 year old Kenwood TS590 which is near K3 performance for £1000 here in the UK. TS570's are fetching around £450 here in the UK.

3. OK1BIL

OK1BIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok thank you for your quick response. I finally decided not to take this Kenwood. I checked ARRL reviews and you are right about the performance of TS590. Price should be about the same I think, but I didn't see many of these on web.

So in used category we have now Icom IC-746(PRO?) and Kenwood TS-590.
    In new category there is still Yaesu FT-450.

And also I am still curious about some comments on FT-450.

4. KD5SPX

KD5SPX Ham Member QRZ Page

Save till you get another $400 and get an FT-950 ... You will be amazed ... the receive difference is night/day from anything else I ever heard!

5. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You can see demos of all these radios on YouTube, which may be helpful.

Of those you mentioned, actually, the TS-590 has by far the best specs. There seems to be a big difference in performance, though, depending on what band it's on. http://www.sherweng.com/table.html He rates it as either the 9th or 10th best depending on if it's using up-conversion or down-conversion. The 590 actually matches the best in Sherwood's listing in 'Dynamic Range Wide Spaced'.

Sherwood has not rated the FT450 or 450D. Looking the numbers from QST reviews, the FT450D has a 2 Khz dynamic range of 76dB. The TS-590 sits at 97dB on the same band (worst case 82 dB). I would expect the 590 to be a much better receiver than the 450. Unfortunately, I don't have a direct comparison on the TS-570 - not in Sherwood's numbers and QST's review criteria changed since 1999.

I actually like the little 450D, but the performance numbers in the recent QST article were disappointing. It's also such a tiny rig! For casual use, I'd prefer something a bit larger.

6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-450D not much larger than FT-857D, which I have and really enjoy. I think better to save up some more money and get an FT-950 (around $1400) or TS-590S ($1600). I am still deciding between the two myself and leaning toward the Kenwood.

7. KD5SPX

KD5SPX Ham Member QRZ Page

Do yourself a favor and save money in the long run. Either save up another $400 and get an FT-950 or find a slightly used one such as the one on the for sale board here for $1100. The 950 is a keeper and you won't have intrest in any other rig after you experience this one. I have a KW I put almost $900 into to and it has sat idle since Sept 11 since my Ft-950 arrived.

Wayne.
    KD5SPX

8. UX0IM

UX0IM Guest

View Poll Results: What would you buy for about $1000?
    Voters: 16. You have already voted on this poll

Kenwood TS-590 - 5 - 31.25%
    Icom IC-746 -2 - 12.50%
    Yaesu FT-450D - 9 - 56.25%
    So it will be more correct, 450 discontinued, and 450d of 1000$ in the US

9. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If it were even remotely possible to find a Kenwood TS-590S for $1000 then it would be scooped up in a flash. Now if you're talking about a TS-570 for the same amount then you may want to reconsider. But since this is already way past his deadline then it really doesn't matter. I am curious what he finally settled for and if after this period of time is he happy with it?
    Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.