Yaesu FT 450 PSK31

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by M0GBF, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. OE5WWO

OE5WWO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FT 450 and PSK31 - Am I on air?

I´m pretty new in PSK31 - listening/reading at the moment, in fact. My problem: I've been trying to have a QSO in PSK31, but without any success up to now.
    I use a FT 450, MicroHam Digikeyer II, DM780; I can access my FT 450, it switches into TX mode, I can hear some noise on my handheld FM-device (Yaesu VX8-DE) when tuned to the TX-frequency - but that is it, so far.

How can I find out, if there's some PSK31 coming out of my machine and going on air?.

My FT 450 works perfectly on SSB.

mny tks
    OE5WWO Wolfgang

2. 99november

99november QRZ Member

YAESU VX-7R

:mad:

Is there anyone who has some experience in using the VX-7R... i must have managed to somehow freeze its scan mode and now am unable to swap the bands.

it now shows a small S at the bottom of the screen although after checking the manual it appears to be in battery saving mode.. I cant even get to the normal menu.
    :confused:

3. AG6WT

AG6WT Ham Member QRZ Page

What does the power meter show when you transmit? It should be bouncing around 10-50 watts as you transmit. Make sure your RF power setting is set to full at 100 watts and then adjust your transmitter drive (the output volume control in DM780 or the pot on your Signalink USB if that's what you are using) so that you get one bar of ALC indication when transmitting, then turn the output drive down slightly just until that first bar disappears. Now you should be running with maximum power output and your signal should have a good IMD, that is, easiest to decode.

If your transmit drive it too low, you won't be getting much power out. If it's too high and you see ALC on the meter, your signal will be splattering across the band and people won't want to talk with you.

Again, make sure your RF power is set to 100 watts. Don't make the mistake setting your power to a low setting because everyone says you only need 10-20 watts to make contacts. While that is true, you set your power to max and adjust your signal strength with transmit drive that I described above. By turning down the drive so that ALC doesn't show, your effective output power will then be 20-30 watts rms and your signal will nice and clean and very linear.

Ray KJ6AMF

4. K5TCJ

K5TCJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is what I was seeing in my case. If your audio is getting in, you will see power out. If not, no power. Like me, if you are putting the audio into the data jack, you need to be in data mode.

Tim K5TCJ ex KF5JDH

5. OE5WWO

OE5WWO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dear OM KJ6AMF!
    Getting rid of ALC-bars was the solution - I tried it yesterday and was heard/read because I got a reply, but then the connection broke down. I'll try again, but it definitely seems to work. The only problem left now is that the DM780 freezes every now and then, especially when going into TX.

73 de Wolfgang oe5wwo

6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

40m was pretty off and on last night -- I had the same problem keeping a QSO going. I'm also seeing DM780 acting wonky, but this is on an older laptop running XP with minimal memory and shared video.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.