Yaesu FT 450 / HRD / FT8 (WSJT-X) Best interface / Set up

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by NN2X, Mar 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. NN2X

NN2X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Fellow Hams

I have a (Loaner) FT 450 Yeasu and I would like to get this working on digital mode..

USB interface is required (My Labtop, only likes USB) , so I need CAT to USB (CAT on the back of the Yeasu Rig (DB 9) / What is the best product for this (CAT / USB)

Next, I will purchased the HRD, does any one have the settings for this...? (For the rig)

When I down load the WSJT-X (FT8/FT4) I believe this communicates directly with HRD..

If some one has some guidance, I would appreciate it..

Thanks / NN2X Tom

2. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't remember if the 450 sends audio through the CAT port. You're best bet is to use the data port instead (6 pin mini-DIN). Data port into your interface, and interface into your laptop. You really only need CAT for frequency control, and you can do that easily enough manually.

With the WSJT software, HRD is really only used for logging. There are a number of logging programs that are either free or very low cost. I use Log4OM. I use JT-Alert to connect the WSJT software to the logging program. HRD also includes DM780 that you can use for other digital modes, but you can download FLDigi for no cost, and it works equally well.