ad: UR5CDX-1

Yaesu FT-450 any opinions?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KF6OCI, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WS4E

WS4E Ham Member QRZ Page

> addition of the 500Hz and 300Hz CW filters

FYI.. ONLY the 300hz is new.

The DSP CW filter widths on the original were 500 / 1.8 and 2.4, the D-model now has [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]300/500/2.4. Note, you loose the 1.8khz CW filter with on the D now.

The 300hz filter CW setting(which could have been done easily in a firmware update on the original if Yaesu wanted), the lighted dials, and some feet are the ONLY differences between the original and the D model as far as I can tell....and the fact you can't purchase it without the internal tuner.

It seems to me that the original model is still a better deal.

[/FONT]

2. N3BPM

N3BPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ft-450 Users
    I am trying to find out what cable to use on the 450 to connect it to a computer. I bought a straight cable like the one mentioned in the users manual, but no go. I also have a USB to 9 pin cable but that doesnt work either. I have tried the program to run the rig and I have tried HRD. Nothing seems to work. Are there any special settings that have to be made in the meny settings? And what cable is everyone using?
    Thanks for any help..
    Steve N3BPM n3bpm@juno.com

3. NW2K

NW2K Ham Member QRZ Page

I assume that you want to control the rig using a serial port. Use your straight-thru serial cable. Set serial port speed so that rig and computer match.

4. AH6OY

AH6OY Ham Member QRZ Page

In the menus....
    CAT RTS set to ENABLE
    Leave the CAT TOT alone.
    CATRATE ie Baud is default 4800.
    Make sure you look at your devices listing on your computer so that you know what serial port number the cable is using so that you pick the right COM Port number when configuring the software to communicate with the radio. If you haven't gone through picking the COM PORT yet there is at least one of your problems :)

Lucky you having a computer with a serial port. I operate the radio off a laptop and serials aren't an option anymore.
    If you ever do have to use a USB to Serial cable makes sure it is one that converts. There are USB to Serial cables that do not have the chips for converting the signals into the generic Serial Port data. Even some of the best converting cables end up with problems so.......good luck.

5. WA1EDN

WA1EDN Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-450 performance on broadcast band

I'd like to know how well the 450 performs on MW. DXing that band is my second hobby. Thanks Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.