Yaesu FT-450 any opinions?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KF6OCI, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KF7GCQ

KF7GCQ Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-450

(edited for brevity)

I've been running my FT450AT for about a year now. I like it. Works good in all 'modes', all 'bands' and with three different antennas that I cycle-thru. I guess N4CE is saying it's not a good CW-radio for HIM eh? I use it mostly on SSB; then AM and FM, and find it a wonderful little radio for those uses. I'm willing to bet most '450' users don't use it for CW. Best bang-for-the-buck 'voice' HF-unit out there IMO.

I have a neighbor who points his monster Gizmotchy-beam my way, from 1,500 yards due-west of my QTH while rag-chewing with me on his FT-1000MP MKV running legal-limit...and after making some 'adjustments' on my end...I get no overload and no distortion. Got several other neighbors with big-rigs (in fact...I'm the only bare-footer in my 'hood') and have no problems with them either. Maybe it's just N4CE's indictment of the 'CW' aspect of the radio that he decries; which should not disqualify the FT-450 in other 'modes'. I rag-chew on the FT-450 and find it's a great little unit for voice-comms. No complaints!

2. KF7IGW

KF7IGW Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-450 Advantages with HRD 5.0 Beta.

I have had mine for about 2 months now and love it. Migrated fron an FT-902DM. My 450 is the Non-AT and I am running with a Kenwood AT-50 with a SignaLinkUSB via the HRD 5.0 Beta:cool:.

Running SSB and PSK31 barefoot through a G5RV at 40 foot. Getting contacts worldwide. Anyone with this rig should try HRD. The Bandscope feature, Waterfall and "SuperBrowser" as well as the DX Cluster access from the Logbook feature is an excellent combination. Not to mention the ADIF LoTW and eQSL import and export functions.

So many options and great software. Give it a try. You will not be disappointed.

Mark
    KF7IGW

Thank you Charlie (N9SOR)!

3. N8QIK

N8QIK Ham Member QRZ Page

Ft-450

Mike, KA0ZLG.
    How do you get to 60 meters on the Yaesu Ft 450?
    I can't find it.
    Thank You,
    Mark Morgan
    N8QIK

4. W0SGM

W0SGM Ham Member QRZ Page

its in the memory channels

5. AI4HO

AI4HO Ham Member QRZ Page

No it does not.

Mark
    W3LZK

6. WS4E

WS4E Ham Member QRZ Page

>I'm a CW op and the digital 500 filter just doesn't do the job.

If you use the SHIFT + 500hz you can actually get it narrower.

By combing the use of the IF SHIFT and the 500hz filter you can get more selectivity than just the filter by itself.

Also, you can then throw a contour filter on top of those and get even more selectivity by contouring the 500hz bandwidth itself to roll off one end or the other, and also you can use the notch to notch out any qrm that might actually get through the 500hz filter. Once you learn the tricks, its actually not really that hard to zero in on who you want to hear and block out everyone else.

Or you can do the FT450 SDR-mod and use SDR software to get down to 25hz filters. As soon as my warranty is up, I am doing this. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pATAv93wFfs

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  7. K4YND

K4YND Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu FT 450D has a 300hz filter

I picked one up Friday. Very pleased so far

8. KF7ATL

KF7ATL Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-450

I have had my FT-450 for about a year and a half now, and I have been quite pleased with it. I believe it to be a good rig for the money. I took me a while to figure out how to use the DSP, though. The owner's manual is not very helpful in that regard. As for the small tuning knob, I use the function knob for fast tuning and the tuning knob for slow tuning so it has never been a problem. I never use the finger hole. I operate mainly CW, but have also had good signal reports on SSB. On CW I can narrow the width on the DSP and/or use the shift, and it will get rid of most nearby QRM.

BTW, my unit is the one without the internal tuner. I bought a cheap MFJ manual tuner and it works just fine. I programmed the SWR function to one of the front panel buttons. It sends out a 10 w carrier and brings up the SWR scale on the display so I can adjust the tuner. Once you have the settings for each band memorized (or written down if you're memory is like mine) the process is pretty fast.

Garth, KF7ATL

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  9. KB9HGI

KB9HGI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had my FT-450 for over year now Great radio. I have not had any problem I'm the 2nd owner of mine and its a 2007 model.

10. K0EX

K0EX Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-450D

i've had mine about 2 weeks. i'm very very pleased with the performance of the radio for the price. my other modern rig is it's big brother, the FT-950. here are a few pro/con statements i'd like to share. these only represent the things that stand out most in MY mind when judging the radio.

CON: in split-frequency (ie, 2-VFO) operation, i wish the 450D had the ability to tune the transmit VFO while using the "transmit watch (TXW)" feature. one can only listen to the transmit frequency, not change it as with the FT-950. so, checking the transmit frequency AND being able to tune it is only possible by toggling btwn VFOs ("A/B" button). this "A/B" method works fine... it's just not how i'm accustomed to doing it.

CON: 'twould be nice for a few more functions to have buttons on the front -- either dedicated or assignable. one "C.S" isn't enough. i'd gladly sacrifice a bit of the display space for that and for a larger tuning knob.

PRO: the RX selectivity is really impressive with Yaesu's addition of the 500Hz and 300Hz CW filters in the "D" revision. as someone pointed out earlier, the "WIDTH" along with the "IF SHIFT" can really eliminate nearby QRM. really well.

CON: i've discovered a strong-signal problem in CW mode. when a signal is S9+10dB or stronger, some distortion in the audio tone near the zero-beat frequency occurs, as well as the appearance of the signal on the opposite side of zero-beat. tuning thru zero beat to the other sideband, some interesting tones are made. anyway, the problem is fully solved by activating the "IPO" function. other than this issue, i have been totally pleased with the RX's performance.

PRO: i've owned the IC718. the 450D's RX is much better. i've also owned the IC7200. it has a very good RX, but has some distortion artifacts in very very crowded CW condx which can't be eliminated. i have yet to notice the 450D suffering this same problem.

i'm very happy i bought the 450D. i highly recommend it.

-Mark K0EX
    since 1974

M0WTA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.