Yaesu FT-450 any opinions?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KF6OCI, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. AG8F

AG8F Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim

I have had my FT 450AT for about 2yrs now and I have enjoyed it very much. I have friends that have the 950 and I can't see the extra cost for mostly nothing but cosmetics. I have talked all around the world with my 450, Ameritron 811H and a Hi Gain Patriot Vertical ant.. I use the MD 100 Mic and the audio is good on transmit and receive.

2. K1WJ

K1WJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Have FT-450, installed atu myself. Works fine for my antenna set ups. Issue I and others have had is in AM mode the radio at times is slow to power to 25 watts. Others have reported slow to 100 watts primary on ssb 40m. Mine has also turned on & off quickly all by itself 2 times when I 1st got the rig. I have had mine for about a year and a half now. Sent to Yaesu service & never turned on/off again but power issues primary AM mode & 40m ssb remain. Many have reported issues since it has been in production. Overall works good, but many have minor issues, could be better. No real show stoppers.....73 K1WJ:cool:

3. N4CE

N4CE Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-45045

I've been a loyal Yaesu owner for years. However, I'll have to say the ft-450 is the first Yaesu rig I didn't like.

I'm a CW op and the digital 500 filter just doesn't do the job. Any nearby strong sig will kill you receiver with AGC. Never found a suitable setting. -Receiver seems prone to overload and distortion.
    -Had issues with radio not transmitting on SSB. I'd recycle the radio and then it would work.
    - I hated the three-position mic switch. I would expect full control of mic gain and processor.

After a year of owning it, I sold it and bought a Kenwood TS480-HX.
    Allows multiple IF filters in addition to AF digital filters.

In all fairness it is a fine "first radio" but not a great upgrade for a veteran op who is moving from an older radio. I think you'd be unhappy.

4. M6RUZ

M6RUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

ft 450

hi all got the ft 450 last november i have had no probs with the radio at all good all rounder. works well.good on ssb will do full power
    all the best russ

5. KB9HGI

KB9HGI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you know you set your meter to lie and will burn your finals out. That mod is not a very smart thing to do.

6. AE5TE

AE5TE Ham Member QRZ Page

There is, in my opinion, a lot of HF radio for the money in the FT-450. The biggest penalty you pay for not selecting the bigger rig is the layers of multifunction menus you must navigate to access all the features.

I bought a new AT model earlier this year and so far I am very pleased with it. But I must say it would have been nice for them to include a bail on the underside to raise the front above the tabletop, putting 50 cents worth of up/down/fast buttons on the stock mic would have been nice, and it seems to me there is just enough wasted real estate on the front panel they could have included a variable RF drive control or mic gain (or both) on said front panel where it belongs.

The latter is a compromise to my longtime habit of making contact then lowering power - so the design does discourage an important good operating practice - but eventually I'll have the muscle memory learned for the new way of doing it.

I just need more operating time. Two moves in six months takes a lot of that away.

7. AE5TE

AE5TE Ham Member QRZ Page

As far as I know that's not true. I believe it is just a maximum swr setting at which the unit will attempt to tune - and in my experience it will still disable transmit if the unit fails to achieve a good SWR. Most people I know with this rig have changed those settings, and if there is a drawback I don't know what it is.

8. W0SGM

W0SGM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the RF power set to the DSP/SEL knob..makes it easy to change the power level.
    And a nice bail for the 450 can be had on ebay for like $18 I think it was for mine.just search Yaesu FT450 Custom tilt stand . I believe the seller was K8FF

Scott KB0NAZ

9. PY2NA

PY2NA Ham Member QRZ Page

Please,

someone can said about the noise from antenna tuner of the FT450at?

Thanks,
    Mark.

10. KB7ZNV

KB7ZNV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu FT-450AT

I bought my FT-450AT new about 3 weeks ago and have had no problems with it. I suppose it's like any new electronic that you buy. If it's built properly at the factory then it should work without issues. Mine works flawlessly so far and I'm quite happy with the Rig.
    Many people prefer a Rig with a bigger knob or more features or better receive sound, but for the money, you are getting a very nice, quality Rig.
    It may not have every feature that a $2000 dollar Rig has, but then again, it's cost is well under a thousand dollars. I would say that if you want a really fancy Rig that has all of the latest bells and whistles, then be prepared to spend a lot of money. If on the other hand you would like an excellent Rig with 100 watts adjustable output and a lot of nice features for an affordable price, then the FT-450AT is a nice Rig to spend your money on. I am happy with mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.