Yaesu FT-400XDR APRS

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KB9HGI, Jun 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KB9HGI

KB9HGI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a Yaesu FT-400XDR in my truck. It is having a problem with APRS when the temp gets above 80 degrees it will not send packets. I go to work in the afternoon and its warm in the truck and the APRS does not work but when i come home at night and its in the 70s it works great! Anyone have a idea why APRS does not work in heat?

2. W8MRL

W8MRL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have that radio and that is not normal. The GPS is likely not getting a lock and so it's not beaconing. You may want to try this: manually enter your lat./long. and see if it will beacon. See page 4 in the FTM-400DR APRS manual for instructions on setting it manually. If it works, then you've narrowed down the problem and I would expect it will need a trip back to Yaesu.

3. KB9HGI

It shows all the sats on that display screen It has the little green sat icon at the top and the gps shows all bars for signal strength. I can go to the altitude screen and it shows that. So I think it is getting a lock. You hit the manual tx beacon button the radios key and it stays keyed longer then when it is working right but does not send any packet data. I know its from the heat because it only does it when its above 80 degrees. If I send it to Yaesu and its not above 80 degrees where they test it it will work fine. They will ship it back and say nothing wrong with it.

4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had mine in a vehicle for 3-4 years now (the XDR) and have not noticed the heat problem. In fact, it's operated flawlessly the entire time.

5. KB9HGI

Well it keys but does not send packets even if you push the T- Beacon and manual beacon it keys the radio but will not send packets when it's out out. What make sit sends packets the CPU?? Maybe i need to flash the firmware? Yaesu won't answer.

6. KA3TJI

KA3TJI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like it's time for a Kenwood!! You'll never have that nonsense with a Kenwood.

7. KB9HGI

I see it key up but when it's hot out it won't send any packets it just keys. Had a buddy of mine watching aprs.fi while i was driving to work. The GPS is in the head and I know it locks and has good signal
    and the radio is keying up to beacon but no packets come out. You think I need a firmware upgrade? Trying to figure out why it won't send packets when its outside other wise the radio works fine just something
    wrong with the GPS.

8. KB9HGI

I have had Kenwoods and they have had problems also in fact I think all brands do at some point.

9. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well sometimes. I have a D710A that will not "Modulate" packets anymore, just dead carrier. I had a second one do the same thing, it however got fixed with a firmware "reload". The other one still does not modulate packets even after a reload. I need to get the "head" sent back to Kenwood someday, as the problem travels with the D710A control head.

10. KB9HGI

Hmm interesting sounds about what mine is doing. The GPS works and it beacons i see the radio key up everytime i turn a corner but nothing coming out. What is weird it only does this when it's hot outside I might try a to load a firmware upgrade. I think something is wrong with the tnc inside when its hot out won't send packets.