ad: vanity

Yaesu FT-3DR Bluetooth Paired with SMH10

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N1ROE, Aug 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the Yaesu earpiece for use with my FT3DR. It's disappointing. The HT is the problem. The FT3DR is nothing more than lipstick on the FT2 pig.

For the stated gps, APRS, and bluetooth use the Kenwood TH-D74, it is far superior.

The only reason to choose the FT3DR is fusion.

W7DAZ, KA3TJI and KM6LYW like this.
  2. WB8ZHQ

WB8ZHQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu is listing the FT-3DR as having bluetooth but they are using some type of proprietary yaesu bluetooth, not true bluetooth. I see this as false advertising from Yaesu. If the FT-3DR has bluetooth it should be able to pair to another bluetooth device and work properly. I try to pair to my car radio with no luck on working, Also, I tried to pair to a bluetooth speaker only to have the same results. The FT-3DR sees the bluetooth device but will no connect !!

3. KD9CKB

KD9CKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

the plantronics voyager edge headset works way better than the yaesu smh10 , fits the ear better, smaller, more volume control

4. VK4JJY

VK4JJY Ham Member QRZ Page

I got Yaesu’s own BT earpiece, and threw it out the next day.
    It worked fine with iPhone, but that isn’t why I got it.

5. VK4JJY

It’s not some proprietary BT... it’s just lacking most bluetooth profiles.

6. VK4JJY

Can’t edit? ... anyways, as much as I hate sticking up for them....
    Yaesu has only ever said it’s been tested with their own earpiece, and not tested with any others.

7. KA3TJI

KA3TJI Ham Member QRZ Page

One word, Kenwood!

Here's what the old V71a looks like on the bike. Control head is on a custom made slide mount that electrically connects when inserted. PTT under left grip. Coiled microphone/speakers cable plug into the bike via waterproof RJ45 jack. Antenna is a Larsen NMO-2/70B Black antenna mounted on homemade and sealed half wave grounding mast with "N" connector on bottom. Antenna/mast assembly is easily removed via three set screws and the LMR240 cable is safely stored on the female "N" connector after unscrewing protective cap. All connections are waterproof.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. KA3TJI

I've since changed the antenna mounting configuration on the Valkyrie and added a custom luggage rack and trunk. Even bought a new Goldwing Tour DCT, yes both bikes have a Kenwood V71a on them.

[​IMG]

9. KA3TJI

I was considering putting an FTM-400 on my Goldwing using the BU-2, but after reading how limited and finicky the BU-2 is I decided against it. I stuck with the Kenwood TM-V71a. Can't get any definitive info saying the FTM-300 is compatible with generic BT devices.

10. N1FRZ

N1FRZ Ham Member QRZ Page