Yaesu FT-3DR Bluetooth Paired with SMH10

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N1ROE, Aug 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N1ROE

N1ROE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in the market for a new HT and I'm considering the FT-3DR. I like the GPS and APRS functionality but my question is regarding bluetooth .

I ride a motorcycle and have a Sena SMH10 bluetooth headset installed in my helmet. Has anyone has had success pairing the FT-3DR with the SMH10 and using it on the bike?

I'm not sure how transmitting would work. The SMH10 seems to be a duplex headset for use with a cellphone. Maybe the FT-3DR has VOX feature that works with bluetooth? I've seen reviews for additional hardware that installs between the radio and a bluetooth headset to work as a PTT button but I'm hopeful that won't be necessary with bluetooth built into the radio.

Thanks!

Bud

2. KM6LYW

KM6LYW Ham Member QRZ Page

i have 5 blutooth "things".. the ft3dr pairs with most of them, works with none.

3. N1ROE

Have you tried to pair it with a bluetooth headset?

4. KM6LYW

I tried two different headsets, a car, and a couple of bluetooth speakers.

one headset had receive audio, but range was rougly 18 inches.

I'm eager to try yaesu's headset.

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

6. W4ZD

W4ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

Bluetooth strikes me as a flawed technology. I've tried several different bluetooth speakers with my computer (Windows 7) and my wife's iPad (late model). None of the speakers would function with either device. What gives?

7. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

i think the issue with bluetooth and ham radio is the PTT function. Most 'hands-free' bluetooth devices expect full duplex (your helmet is like my car's internal hands free bluetooth device) so there is no accommodation for PTT.

KM6LYW likes this.
  8. N1ROE

So it sounds like I should have no problem pairing the radio to the helmet. I agree with WF4W, I think the crux is going to be transmitting. I'm really curious to see if the VOX feature of the radio works while paired with a headset via bluetooth.

I'm not sure why W4ZD is having such a hard time, though. I have many bluetooth devices and they all work well. They do work better if you're indoors. The technology is kind of made to bounce around a room. I've found that when I use my Bose bluetooth earphones paired with my phone while I'm outdoors I have to carry my phone on my right side otherwise the connection is a little spotty.

9. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

What gives is that manufacturers of Bluetooth "things" almost never implement it according to the standard, and there is little or no enforcement.

10. KM6LYW

this headset works:

JVC Gumy Wireless HA-FX9BT-B

range is limited. will not penetrate your body/head. ft3dr can be worn on hip, but not on your back. with clear line of sight, range is about 8 feet. extremely bad by most bluetooth standards, but at least it pairs, and center button click activates PTT.