ad: cq2k-1

Yaesu FT-3D Bluetooth compatibility list

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by DJ8JD, Sep 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. DJ8JD

DJ8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

I have asked myself recently whether my bluetooth headphones would work with the Yaesu FT-3D prior to buying one. Because I found no central list with compatible devices I'd like to start this list here. Please contribute with your device, the firmware version and a report whether it worked or not and maybe some problems like no tx ability. Looking forward for your help!

If there are enough answers I'll try to make a google docs spreadsheet for easy lookup.

My firmware is Main 1.02; Sub 1.02 and DSP 7.02.

Tested devices:
    • Sony WH-900N Headphones -> Working Tx/Rx with slightly annoying tone in background
    • Teufel Boomster BT speaker -> Working Ty/Rx with propably mains hum and its harmonics till ~400Hz
    • Toyota Prius -> No BT connection possible
    Julian, DJ8JD

2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

That would be a handy spreadsheet, Julian, but wouldn't it be easier to reference Bluetooth compatibility between devices, e.g., if your Bluetooth headset has v4.1 and is backwards compatible to v1.0, then if the Yaesu rig's Bluetooth version is v2.0, the headset should work?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  3. DJ8JD

Yes. This would be optimal but I think that no one wants to downgrade his/her radio for this simple test due to the complicated update process on the FT3D. If this data goes into a spreadsheet I can name the column e.g. "lowest suported version". Let's see which contributions come from the community.

WF7A likes this.
  4. K5EMG

K5EMG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Most cars Bluetooth radios will not work. Anything that sends commands like skip song, volume up and such are not supported by the FT3D by Yaesu specifications, my car, a Kia Soul, doesn’t makes the Bluetooth connection, but my cheap Mpow headphones yes, but with a lot of noise and hum.

5. DO4HAA

DO4HAA Ham Member QRZ Page

This is great. What a coincidence that I just found this. A coworker (DO1BJM) sent an video, showing one of DJ8JDs APRS messages and I looked up the callsign and found the link to this thread.
    I have the FT3D and wanted to connect a small bluetooth speaker. Thanks K5EMG for pointing out, that the FT3D does not connect to "anything that sends commands...". Seems to be exactly my problem. Now looking for a simple headset.

6. DO4HAA

DO4HAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Also: I think a huge improvement to the FT3D would be the possibility to connect bluetooth keyboards to the radio. Would be convenient for APRS messages. Maybe Yaesu finds this thread one day. ;-)

7. DJ8JD

Ok. Something like this with the commands I've read also somewhere... I think it would be more like the phone adress book retrieval from the smartphone could be the problem. My Headphones could send such commands that you pointed out and, except from the hum, everything works fine.

A tip for lowering this hum is to turn on the "Bluetooth Save" option. The drawback on the other hand is that you have to wait some seconds since the transmission is hearable over BT.

8. UR6LRH

UR6LRH Ham Member QRZ Page

About headphones:
    - Not work with airpods, airpods 2, airpods pro;
    - Not work with meizu ep 52 lite;
    + Works well with meizu ep 51. ;) (sometimes when loses signal, for reconnecting I need restart radio and/or headphones)

p.s. spent a lot of time, I hope it will save someone some energy