yaesu ft 301d display fan....solved heat fault!!!

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by IT9AHH, Nov 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. IT9AHH

IT9AHH Ham Member QRZ Page

I found in a local shop for 5 euros a 4mmx4mmx10mm 12v microvent and rotating on bearings .... i made a support with a fastron of the brico I have glued it with super attack to one of the fixing holes present on fan exterior frame and at this point I used to fix the fan in its seat a screw on that gold-colored strip, also visible in the picture above, which is the support of a printed one among the various in the vfo area. at this point instead of modifying the radio, which has never been in my programs, I have made an electrical cable extension which is then welded to the two fan cables, and then crosses the inside of the radio, immediately below the top cover, and comes out through one of the usual slots of airplane always on the top cover and then goes down to the 301 power supply, a diamond gsv 3000, and gets off the power from the clamps on all gsv 3000 under the front door they hold max.6ampere.
    the game is done .... just switched on the power supply immediately starts the fan that is virtually zero noise. I tried to turn on the radio by disabling the fan and after 15/20 minutes all the display area was pretty much the same as it was before, glowing ... at this point the test of the nine ... I connect the fan and after some soon all the area begins to noticeably lose heat as it is .... it is done !! there is not any hotter ... but just a very slight warmth just perceptible !!
    it works!! I have to add that I did not wash, welded wires to some printed on the radio and did not touch anything ... I just unplugged a screw, inserted it under the hole of the fastom / fan support, which worked properly, as you see it, it is immediately placed at the yaesu hole and then I screwed back the same screw that was screwed back immediately securing the fan in that space, which is always what we said a few days ago. I controlled and did not bump with anything, with the mechanisms of the vpho. so it works and I did not change the radio. I would say we are there.
    73'
    franco it9ahh.
    [​IMG]

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very good Franco! Clever mounting of the fan with the ring terminal/lug. Radios are so small today that they get far hotter than is ideal.

73, Bill

3. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

So I presume your display was going off as it got hot?

Seems a reasonable solution if the fan keeps it cool and stops it failing . . . well done !

(by the way, your FT301D is hardly a "Boat Anchor" . . . it's all solid-state!)

Roger G3YRO

4. IT9AHH

hi Bill, it's true at all i have also a vy little ft 891 with absolutely no space inside!!!
    hi Roger...my ft 301d is in mint conditions coming on my shack on 2017 summer from an Usa ebayer located on california.
    the rig is absolutely new and unused from 1977!!!!
    this is the reason why the display is new and well functioning....but it was warm!!
    yes...my ft 301 is not a true boat anchor....no tubes inside and weight more less tan 10kg!!!!
    anyway after i wrote i asked myself if this the right forum's section....and now i believe your'e right....i'm vy sorry
    for the mistake.
    franco.

KA0HCP likes this.
  5. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

6. IT9AHH

yes ....i know the Elcon replacement ft 301d's display but it costs abt $ 100 kit, or 160 $ as plug and play....!!!
    so i keep on using my fan mod that runs vy fb from abt 7 months.

7. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I've noticed that a lot of people on this website forget that many don't have unlimited cash to spend on this hobby !

So I'm all for low or zero-cost fixes on equipment.

(things like Fans you can often get for free from old computers that people just throw out)

Roger G3YRO

8. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Old computer fans with sleeve bearings tend to freeze up when they get dust in said bearings. Those little mini-CPU fans (which were used extensively on assemblies like removable hard-drive caddy frames) tend to fail somewhat regularly; I've replaced enough of them over the years! If it were me I'd keep a close eye on the thing, especially since the convective airflow path past the display board has been constricted by the introduction of said fan.

And...at the end of the day...you're still dealing with 30+ year old CMOS in the form of the TIL-30x display driver/readout chips. A novel concept in theory, but a different outcome in reality. It isn't just heat which makes them fail at this point in time.

I bought three of the Elcon boards for my various '301s last year and I darn sure didn't spend $100USD/each for them.

9. IT9AHH

ok ... I think the fan will do its job ... if instead the display will break then I will buy the elcon kit.

10. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Just be sure to keep an eye on it.

Should the stock display ever fail and you need replacement display chips or a complete unit, PM me and I'll see about getting the OEM boards to you.