YAESU FT-2980R AUDIO QUALITY

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AC0GV, Sep 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

Just put a new 2980 on the air over the weekend. I like it but after years of running Kenwood TM-281 radios people complained about my audio. When asked what was wrong, they said I sounded congested, like I had a clothespin on my nose, it’s just not good. When pressed they said not distorted, it was clear just not as good as in the past. Has anyone else noticed this? My guess is that Yaesu has narrowed up the audio frequency response much like many of the commercial manufacturers do.

N0KEW likes this.
  2. NE3R

NE3R Ham Member QRZ Page

The Yaesu FT-2980R is the most popular 2 meter rig on the market today, just one that I don't happen to have, but I've been on the receiving end of both radios. Maybe because it was Kenwood to Kenwood but the TM-281 did sound better to me. Check in on that Wide/Narrow setting deep in the menu and make sure it is wide or 5khz, however they display it &/or try some different mic gain settings. 73 de Joe NE3R

AC0GV likes this.
  3. N0KEW

N0KEW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Say it ain’t so.

4. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

No problems on this end with the Yaesu FT-2980. Nice 2 meter FM transceiver.

5. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

I just spoke with some one on air using an FT 3 Yaesu HT and a person that had commented on my ausio jumped in to say that it sounded like my 2980. It was not distorted, just not quality audio.