Yaesu FT-2980 analog radio recieving digital hash noise!

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by W8FFG, May 31, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W8FFG

W8FFG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi everyone. My personal analog radio (FT-2980) receives digital noise (hash) from our local repeater which is a Yaesu Fusion repeater.

I am told that the radio has settings and a way to get rid of the digital noise reception. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Much appreciated.

W8FFG
    Bill

2. WA9ZZZ

WA9ZZZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One way that some dual mode repeaters handle this problem is to transmit PL only for analog transmissions. Turn on tone squelch on your radio and the squelch should only open when there is an analog transmission.

This depends on the repeater being properly set up, so can't be sure it will work. If set up properly, this will work for any analog radio, not just Yaesu.

3. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the way I have my analog radios set up. On any memory channel that is a Fusion repeater just run tone squelch. The digital output does not have the tone and thus you don't hear it. The analog repeater output does have tone so you can hear it when an analog signal is present.
    Simple.

4. KD9OHQ

KD9OHQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Kenwood TM-271 that I listen to the club repeater on, I have the PL tone set for the analog FM signal that allows me to get into and receive signals. Recently it was updated to a digital repeater and now I hear digital hash when there are digital QSO's going on. They tell me to set the tone squelch to exclude the digital signals. I thought the PL tone would do that already, why is another setting required and I do not know if this radio is capable of that other setting. The manual talks about CTCSS and DCS tones, however only one type of tone can be used at a time. What am I missing? I am new so everything is an unknown until it becomes known.

5. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

6. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

"Tone" and "CTCSS" (in most radios) are really the same thing, just implemented differently. When set to "tone", you will only encode a PL tone. When you set it to CTCSS, you will both encode AND decode that tone. If your repeater encodes a PL tone, and it probably does if it is dual mode FM/Fusion, then when in CTCSS you will only hear transmissions that contain the correct PL tone from the repeater. Right now, if encoding in "tone" mode, you are only transmitting the correct tone, your receiver will allow anything on the channel to come through.

TM-271A programming:

upload_2020-8-14_9-54-38.png

7. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

You have to set your radio to not only transmit the PL tone but to also only receive if it receives the PL tone. This isn't normally done on most analog repeaters. Your radio is capable of it as nicely explained in the manual posted above. If you don't have manual I suggest downloading one. Modern radios are so complicated you have to keep the manual handy. I keep the manual for my mobile radios in the glovebox.