yaesu FT 2500M (MH27 mic) mic will not program

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KT3N, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KT3N

KT3N Ham Member QRZ Page

My mic has the number keypad on it. I own two of these mics. Neither will program from the numbers keys anymore. They are like new, been in storage for a while. I was keying in freqs no problem the other day and after playing around in the settings my mic no longer programs freqs. You have to use the dial on the unit. That sucks. So I switched the mic out to a duplicate mic. Remember, these are both brand new, just been in storage for Y2K type days.
    The second mic also does not programm, and I know they used to. Which leads me to believe a setting inside the 2 meter unit has turned it off. I have read the manual, searched schematics and browsed the net to no avail. I wonder if any other FT2500m users know what to do or have experienced this annoying problem.
    I will try a hard reset but that involves opening the top of the unit and shorting a wire (yikes) according to an online manual for the FT2400m which I found. There is a sorta reset which involves holding D/MR REV/SKIP and turning power off then on.

any help out there?
    mail me back at tommy.bahama58@gmail.com
    or reply here, thanks

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  2. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is there a lock switch on the mic that got set to the lock position?

3. KE6KA

KE6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

What do you mean by program? That mic only has DTMF, PTT, and up/down, scan and recall capabilities.

4. KT3N

KT3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Well thats what it says in the manuals but I remember putting in freqs using the keypad on the mic. Im sure of it. I dont own any other radios to confuse this with. So I am wondering how is it, if I am right, that it allowed direct key in of freqs and now it doesn't.

And yes I have checked the mic lock on/off on both of these mic's.

thanks for the comments and any help

Tom KT3N

5. KE6KA

KE6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

I would have to look at the manual, but my guess is you can't enter frequencies through the microphone. I had that same mic on an FT-2400, and it only allowed my to toggle between a few features.

6. KC7OVN

KC7OVN Guest

I have a Yaesu2500 with an MH-27 mic and the same thing happened to me. All of a sudden the DTMF pad stopped working. The red LED on the mic still blinks, but the radio does not transmit the DTMF tones any more.

I use to be able to enter frequencies in from the mic and now it does not allow me to. And the lock is off.

7. VU2WDP

VU2WDP Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-2500M Audio not coming

I use FT-2500M with DTMF Mike. My equipment Tx working all give 59 but Audio not getting from speaker as well as ext. speaker. My equip. pin diode working well. Anybody tell me the reason. Equipment or DTMF Mike problem?

8. COTTONWOOD

COTTONWOOD QRZ Member

Dumb question here - should my FT-2500 be able to transmit DTMF from the microphone keypad without the optional FRC-6 pager unit? I'm not having any luck getting a response from the local EchoLink repeater. I see the red light but do not hear a tone while holding the PTT button and pressing 1-2-3-4-5-6, which according the repeater owner, should generate an auto-reply of "1-2-3-4-5-6 not found". The manual doesn't seem to specifically address how to transmit DTMF, other than the section detailing how to operate paging functions with the optional FRC-6 board installed. Of course, this may be because it's so simple, even a cave man should find it intuitively obvious...

Cheers,
    Jon the knuckle-dragger

9. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Get out your SM soldering tools, solder wick, tweezers and Temp Controlled Soldering Iron.

The Yaesu MH-27 microphone suffers from the "Bad Capacitor/Capacitor Plague problem".
    Yaesu Service will tell you that 3 capacitors normally go bad inside the microphone.

Obtain the MH-27 schematic from Yaesu (below). LOOK for leakage !
    http://webpages.charter.net/rlanders904/index_files/MH-27a8j Mod.pdf

HERE are the MH-27 NOTES from Tim Landers, N4HIG
    http://webpages.charter.net/rlanders904/

PHOTOS of MH-27 repairs
    http://webpages.charter.net/rlanders904/index_files/MH-27_corrected.JPG

w9gb

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  10. COTTONWOOD

COTTONWOOD QRZ Member

Is the replacement of those three capacitors important for voice, DTMF, or both?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.