Yaesu FT 225RD - CTCSS upgrade

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W9UB, Nov 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W9UB

W9UB Ham Member QRZ Page

I purchased a Yaesu FT 225RD rig a while back that did not have repeater capability. The prior owner sold me the rig along with a SS-64 CTCSS Encoder kit if I wanted to install for repeater use. Long story short, I sent the rig away to get a complete check over and the CTCSS kit installed. The rig came back with the kit installed.

I made a few contacts on simplex with no problem. Next I tried our local repeater and sure enough I was able to trip the repeater without any problems....however the guys told me that there was a "loud hum" making my audio difficult at best to copy.

I think the guy who installed the kit just hooked it up and made sure it sent out an audio tone of 103.5 as I instructed and didn't adjust the pot for the correct output level using a deviation meter per the instructions. I don't want to send the rig back just for that because the shipping costs alone would make a bad investment even worse!

I am kind of stuck at this point. The rig works great on simplex and would be a fun boat anchor to operate. My question is this something difficult to do if I can get my hands on a used FM deviation meter? Also, am I on the right track thinking that this is the problem since simplex seems to work?

2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Find the level pot on the encoder and turn it down. If you have another radio that has CTCSS decode, set it up to listen to your transmission, and turn the pot down to where the signal mutes. Then turn it up a little past the point where it re-opens squelch. Check to see that it will access your local repeater. This isn't rocket science, just a level adjust.

Specification calls for around 700Hz of deviation for the PL encode, but most repeaters will activate fine with 300-400 or even less. It doesn't really matter what the absolute value is, as long as it works for you.