Yaesu FT-2000 to Ameritron AL-811H

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KF4RQN, Feb 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF4RQN

KF4RQN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello

I apologize for the newbie question. But I would like to verify with a couple things before I complete any connections between the equipment. This is my first HF Amplifier. I would like to pair the Yaesu FT-2000 to the Ameritron AL-811H so the radio will engage the keying circuit in the amplifier. I have read some post that say only a simple RCA Style audio cable is needed. But I would like to confirm which connection on the rear of the Yaesu FT-2000 connects to the "relay" port on the AL-811H.

In the Yaesu manual:
    The TX/RX switching in the linear amplifier is con-trolled by switching components in the transceiver. The relay circuit of the FT-2000 used for this switching is capable of switching AC voltage of 100 Volts at up to 300 mA, or DC voltages or 60 V at 200 mA or 30 V at up to 1 Amp. In order to engage the switching relay,
    use Menu item β€œ146 tGEn ETX-GND;” set this Menu item to β€œEnA (Enable)” to activate the amplifier switch- ing relay. The specified range for ALC voltage to be used with the FT-2000 is 0 to -4 Volts DC.

The Ameritron AL-811h manual:
    Use shielded audio type cable with standard male phono plugs to connect the RELAY jack on the AL-811H to the exciter's normally-open amplifier keying circuit. The keying circuit in the AL-811H has a positive 12 VDC
    open circuit and it provides 100mA of current when connected to ground. The AL-811H has an internal back-pulse can celing diode across the relay coil.

Would this be correct to connect the FT-2000 13.8v RCA Phono connector to the relay connection on the AL-811h? I know it's a basic question, but I want to be sure I'm doing everything correctly. Thanks so much for the help.

2. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

On the rear of your 2000 there is a phono connection marked "TX GND" That connection provides a "ground on transmit" which is what the Al-811H wants. Since the capability of the grounding circuit in the radio is adequate for the 811H all you have to do is run a shielded phono cable from the TX GND on the radio to the relay on the amp. That's it. Make sure you enable the relay in the menu.

K8YEU likes this.
  3. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree with QJ, it's that simple.

4. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, and any old hi-fi Phono to Phono lead will do fine (just split the other lead off the stereo cable so you just have one)

Roger G3YRO

5. VE2JCW

VE2JCW Subscriber QRZ Page

I made the same connection .. the ft-2000 and linear LA-30 is seen .. but only a little work..not able to do anything..and yes I am well to enable in the menu :(