Yaesu FT-2000, or FTDX3000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KD7VEA, Jan 21, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD7VEA

KD7VEA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Has anyone compared the ft2000 to the ftdx3000? I am about to purchase a new radio, and the decision has come down to these two radios. What are your opinions on the two radios. I am definitely wanting a great receiver, 6 meters is one of my favorite bands, and I am going to be running an external pan adapter. What are your thoughts?

2. AD7VB

AD7VB Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT2000 is hardly a new radio, it does have dual receive, which one my friends doesn't think he can live without any longer. If you chase DX the Dual receive can be a help in finding where the DX station is currently working when running split. The radio does have a number of detractors however. The DMU-2000 is way overpriced for what it is, so an aftermarket pan adapter would probably be better.

The FTDX3000 is of a newer design but no dual receive.

Todd

3. KD7VEA

I'm not sure how much I will need dual receive, I don't need it often as of right now, but if I get a better receiver than the FT-100D, I may actually hear DX, and then it may be helpful. I will be running an LP-Pan, so I can actually use that as a secondary receiver if I need to. The main thing I am after is a great receiver, and an honest 100 watts out. my FT-100D only does around 70 watts, and I run an AL-80A on HF, and a converted AL-80 on 6 meters, and I want to push the amp a little harder (3-500 tubes are cheap enough, I will drive it with what I can). so as for the things I didn't mention at first because I am more interested in opinions on receive quality, I am very interested in digital modes, I have done a little, and plan to do a lot more. the 3000 is set up for control over USB including audio (Makes digital a bit easier). there is already an IF output on the 3000 that saves me almost $200 on the breakout board. The thing that I really like on the 2000 first off, I was thinking of getting the 2000D 200 watt model, just so I could be sure to drive the amp right at 100 watts. and I love all of the controls on the front panel. I am a little tired of sub-menus.

4. AD7VB

AD7VB Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I have a ICOM 718 and an 7410 that I've been happy with. But they don't have a IF out.

As far as output goes unless you're running a peak reading power meter it should not read 100 watts in SSB anyway.

Most digital modes are low power. Pushing the Amp will not gain you much and can cause splatter.

Either radio would be a step up. But the 3000 would be easier to interface for digital modes.

You would probably be better served to take a trip to your nearest Ham radio store and try a few out that fall into your price point.

5. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I understand your annoyance with menu-driven radios. I replaced a FT-1000MP with a FT-100D on my sailboat before I put it up for sale. That little radio drove me crazy as I had to keep the operating manual near it at all times.

I don't know that I'd characterize the FT-3000 as having a "great" receiver, but it has a good one. Review independent receiver testing at http://www.sherweng.com/table.html - the list is in order of "best" to "least" in simplified terms of "QRM fighting" (my words). And ff you don't intend to seriously chase DX or contest, the FTDX-3000 will be a fine choice.

70-80 watts should be more than enough to drive your amplifier to full power. Have you checked line voltage and the "quality" of the 3-500Z?

6. KN4J

KN4J Ham Member QRZ Page

Other than the second receiver, I can think of no circumstances where I'd rather have a 2000 over the 3000. I have referred to the Sherwood site in the past and it has some level of merit, but of course it shouldn't be the final reference point to base a decision. I am curious what limits the 3000 from being unable to be used as a radio to "seriously chase DX or contest." What's the definition of "serious DX?" I ask because I want to be educated since it appears there must be a night and day difference that I don't know about (unless you're thinking of the the use of the 2nd rec.)

I have to imagine that not everyone that successfully does such owns a radio listed in Sherwood's top 10, and even so, the margin isn't so wide between the top 10 radios and the 3000 that I could imagine it making the difference between contact and no contact in terms of noise floor or circumventing QRM. In practical use at my modest station, using the 3000 hasn't stopped me from working any "serious DX" yet according to my definition, but your definition and mine might be different and I don't contest.

7. KD7VEA

Thanks for all of the info. Let me break down a few things I have said. I am running a Yaesu ft-100d right now so I think Rx quality will go up with the 2000, or 3000. I do use an array solutions power master peak reading meter, and the ft-100d only shows about 60-70 watts out (50 watts on 6 meters), so I think the finals are getting weak, or something is off in the radio. When I was building my 6 meter amp, I could drive it at 100 watts with a different radio, and produce just under 1000 watts, so I hate that I am only seeing about 500 watts right now. I am not into hf contesting, but that doesn't mean that in a couple of months, I won't be. I do like to work DX if I can hear it, but that has not been the case with the ft-100d. I am leaning towards the ft dx3000 right now. Easily remote control the station, usb connectivity, easy digital connection...

8. WI4B

WI4B Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

9. WI4B

WI4B Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With the FT-2000D you can drive your amps wit either 75 watts Class A or 200 watts Class AB and an excellent receiver, 2 of them. Love mine.
    WI4B

K8PG likes this.
  10. W5IEI

W5IEI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just get the 3000
    Let me know if you ever find a station that can tell the difference between 500 watts and 800 watts on receive.