ad: Winterfest-1

YAESU FT-101EE ?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by K8SWR, Nov 16, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K8SWR

K8SWR Ham Member QRZ Page

I picked up a FT-101EE from an estate the guy said his brother was using the rig. The rig will power up but I'm not able to get any receive out of it. I haven't turned on the heaters at this point.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to check?

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Download the manual; it will have proper control settings to get it to receive.

3. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes there is a connector that has a jumper wire that needs to be plugged into the rear panel for a rig to work. Check the manual. Maybe an external vfo connector.

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

No receive or just no audio coming out of the speaker?

5. KC8VWM

That jumper is on the rear ACC socket. Jumping pins #1 and #2 on the plug socket enables power to the 6JS6C tubes thus enabling the rig to TX. But the rig should be able to receive something without any jumper there.

[​IMG]

6. K8SWR

I have the jumper in place in the ACC Plug in the rear,
    and from what I read in the manual it looks like I have setting correct but still no receive audio or "S" meter movement.

7. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well the most important settings to receive correctly are:
    - VFO in INT position to select the internal VFO
    - PTT/VOX/MOX set to PTT or VOX setting
    - RF gain fully clockwise
    - Audio gain set to comfortable level

If you've done all that and there's no audio or S meter movement then I'd open up the rig and start by making sure all the circuit boards, relays and cable connectors are fully seated. The FT-101 series used a bunch of plug in PCBs and one or more may have loosened up in transport.

KC8VWM likes this.
  8. KC8VWM

A dirty "mode" switch can cause reception issues. Sometimes the wipers on the switch are not making clean contact. You may be able to clean the switch by simply rotating it back and forth for around 50 times. Same idea with some of the switches on the front panel that may now be making intermittent or poor contact.

Another issue may be the internal relay. It may be sticking and causing a loss of reception. I was trying to determine earlier if you are receiving any kind of "audio hiss" present from the speaker even though there are no radio signals present. This tells me if the speaker audio amp circuit has a problem or not.

Another thing to do is unplug the boards and "reseat" them back into their slots again. This may clear up a connection problem. Using a pencil eraser on the board contacts will clean them up nicely while you have them out.

In short, I doubt there's any "problem" with the rig other than a dirty connection making poor contact somewhere. This is usually the case with most older rigs.

AC0OB and W0WDF like this.
  9. K8SWR

I popped the top and it looks dirty and I see these two black tubes with wires inside some cut and others bare do these need to go to something?

Attached Files:

KC8WMT likes this.
  10. K8SWR

Also I don't seem to get static from the speaker as well as no "S"meter movement