ad: Schulman-1

Yaesu ft 101e preselector

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KM4YTW, May 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM4YTW

KM4YTW Ham Member QRZ Page

I've noticed on my yaesu ft 101e that the preselector for 40 meters is off. For good reception I have to set it in the middle of 80 meter segment. And for top output I have to set it to the 40 meter segment. How do you marry these two up ?
    Thanks

2. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can obtain a copy of the manual for that radio online and follow the steps for alignment. Sounds like that is what needs to be done. :)

3. KQ9J

You can obtain a copy of the manual for that radio online and follow the steps for alignment. Sounds like that is what needs to be done. :)

4. KM4YTW

Thanks KQ9J. Yeah I may need to do another alignment. It starts out with adjusting the preselector slugs and I'm hesitant to do that since they haven't been messed with. I did an alignment but skipped those steps not wanting to upset them.

5. KQ9J

They can be touchy. Make sure you use a proper plastic alignment tool and some caution.

When I first got mine, I was having trouble on one of the bands and found NO slug at all in one of the coils! Borrowed one from a junkbox board from some long deceased radio and all was good to go!

6. KM4YTW

I went ahead and did another alignment . I adjusted the preselector slugs and that cleared it up. Im not sure how the preselector transformers got out of alignment but they were, unless a capacitor somewhere has changed value. Its working pretty good.
    Thanks

7. KM4YTW

KQ9J, thanks, when i got this radio i kept hearing something like a screw rattling around when i turned it over. I took the VFO covers off, , high freq cover off hunting this rattle. Gave up. Today i was wondering if what ever that was is causing the problem. I was thinking about your post and a light bulb turned on in my head, sure enough t101 the core was broke in two inside the can. I got a new one ordered. You could not tell anything was wrong from the outside, thanks for telling me about your missing core.

8. KM4YTW

I got the new preselector and changed T101. Still got a ridiculous problem. I have to adjust T101 all the way down into the can to get xmit and recieve to align close , still not perfect. I went thru the alignment process very carefully and this is what i end up with. Im out of ideas, i know T101 being adjusted like that.