Yaesu FT-101 AF Unit PB1315B

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by VA7WCJ, Nov 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VA7WCJ

VA7WCJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all. Yes I have searched the forum for this issue, but perhaps my search terms are not correct.
    So I have pulled my AF board out and it has a couple of the famous "film" capacitor (phonelic) cracking and splitting.
    Does anyone have a list of what I need in order to rework the whole board? The board is in the manual, but I'm not seeing values for the components.
    Perhaps Roger G3YRO has a lead or two for me?
    Thanks all 73.

2. RANCH55

RANCH55 QRZ Member

Here is a list of parts for that board.
    Just earlier this year I found a "Mylar" kit on ebay, complete with all the Mylar caps.
    Don't know if it is still available.
    Also purchased a complete electrolytic capacitor kit.

upload_2019-11-26_17-8-45.png

upload_2019-11-26_17-2-15.png

3. VA7WCJ

Nice! Thanks and I'll google the ebay.

4. VA7WCJ

Thanks again. Found a fellow Canadian who sells the electrolytic kit (51 pcs) and now I have the info for all the Mylars.

5. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

I find it very strange that some of you guys in North America seem to have problems with some of the various capacitors in the FT101 . . .

I can honestly say that, in all the rigs I have worked on, I have never had to replace ANY faulty capacitors on any of the PCBs, including any electrolytics.

Does it get very hot where you live?

Roger G3YRO

6. VA7WCJ

No actually I think it's more moisture related. And your not the first one to say that about these caps and repairs Roger Hi Hi.
    (screenshots of the same issue, not my photo's but examples from online)

Attached Files:

7. W1NB

W1NB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ve seen this quite a bit, especially in radios that have had a hard life. At the same time I’ve seen original 101s and Bs that have original caps with no signs of cracking.

VA7WCJ likes this.
  8. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've replaced thousands of mylar caps in British recording consoles (Trident, Neve, SSL, Calrec) that have had the shells crack and wires detach. Usually this kind of problem is more prevalent with equipment from the 70's installed in salt air climates (LA, NYC, Caribbean Islands). Fantastic sounding desks, but yes, the older ones usually need to be recapped.

The temperatures inside of those devices is usually pretty hot due to no air circulation with dozens to hundreds of modules packed close together in a frame.

This was a big problem with the style of cap with a matte finish on the epoxy coating (70's to mid 80's gear). I think the coating formulations became more moisture resistant in the 90's. Those caps had a high gloss finish and have held up better over the decades.

9. VA7WCJ

Ranch55 for some reason I cannot save the first picture. It saves as a webpage, instead of an image. Could you email the image to me please. va7wcj@gmail.com. 73's

10. RANCH55

RANCH55 QRZ Member

Done .......