Yaesu FT 100 DR or FT 400 DR? Experience matters to me

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K7HN, Sep 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K7HN

K7HN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi my fellow Ham friends,

I’m looking to get my second rig. I’d like to be able to work 2 m and 70 cm. I’ve also found Wires X and Fusion to be quite appealing. I’m between purchasing the FT 100DR and the FT 400 DR.

One of the most amazing things I’ve found since I got my license in April of this year has been the genuinely kind of help from other operators… Thank you in advance for that!

I’ve heard that the 400 is excellent with APRS. I’ve never used that mode before… Is it used often and what is it used for? I am new to Ham radio and would like to get a better feel for the use of this communications method.

Anybody with experience with either of these rigs would be very helpful to me. I’m not asking for you to “make my decision for me,“ I’m just looking for some help with advice from people who have used these rigs before and could share their experience with it all.

Thanks and hopefully happy DX to all!

Larry
    K7HN

2. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had a FTM-400XDR for almost 3 years. It is easy to use with the RT software to load all the memories. Like any new radio it takes a little time to become familiar with all the menus available. The display is touchscreen which helps navigation.
    APRS uses the built-in GPS to know where the radio is and in conjunction with APRS relay stations around the world will give others the ability to track your location as you move about. Check out www.aprs.fi Wires-X requires that you are within range of a Wires-X node or repeater. It is also possible to use a hot spot which is more complicated. The whole Fusion - C4FM technology arena is very exciting and with any new technology there is a learning curve but the rewards are many.
    I know nothing about the FT-100.

Bob

K7HN likes this.
  3. N1NA

N1NA Subscriber QRZ Page

I have owned both, and they are both fantastic radios. I upgraded to the 400, and find it a bit easier to work with, considering I have some paralysis in one hand (Thank you Agent Orange). The price difference between t he two, is not that much - go with the 400, and enjoy Wires-X

K7HN likes this.
  4. K7HN

Hey Bob, thank you very much for your wonderful reply. I appreciate that very much. I think both of these radios have their plus and minus us but the 400 has a lot more pluses but it’s also a lot more expensive. I really appreciate you going into detail about what you liked about your 400. Thanks Bob! 73 from Oregon!

5. K7HN

Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate your input on owning both videos. I’m not going to be using it mobile at least right now.

I want to set it up in my shack as the second rig to ragchew with people from all over the world which is something I really am excited about!

But, I’d like to be able to also work local people to say hello. It sounds like the 400 may be a great option for me my friend! Thank you for taking the time to write.

73 and blessings from Oregon!