Yaesu FP-29 Power Supply Stopped working

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC5SAS, May 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KC5SAS

KC5SAS Ham Member QRZ Page

The FP-29 power supply which runs my Yaesu Ft-1000MP MkV just suddenly shut off.
    I was monitoring 14.070 for some PSK-31, had made a contact about a half hour before then went in to the kitchen for a drink. When I came back to the shack my rig was off. I checked the fuse in the back of the FP-29 and it is good, not blown. I unplugged the PS from the radio and took it off of the desk, across the room and plugged it into a different wall socket. It still won't switch on.
    I Googled around and it seems this has happened to a few people but I haven't been able to find many answers short of "send it back to Yaesu for repairs".
    Any advice is appreciated.

Steve, KC5SAS

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

FP-29 Power Supply for FT1000 Mark "V" 200W Radio
    This is power supply is a Switch-Mode (SMPS) design.
    Schematic attached.
    Due to prolonged usage and high temperaturs, the HV DC Electrolytic Capacitors can fail.

Yaesu FP-29 Power Supply Manual
    http://www.foxtango.org/ft-library/FT-Library/current/Fp-29.pdf
    ===
    Since Bob, W1GWU reports to have repaired over 50 of these units, contact him for details.

BBB66DE6-1FAA-4555-B113-18D643A042A5.jpeg
    This is the "guts" of the FP-29 power supply for the FT1000 Mark "V" 200W radio. It attaches to a heatsink which mounts in the case with a cooling fan. Assembled weight is about 7 pounds.

This one had parts that had literally exploded while the supply was running on standby. They were in the $600 range when new - no longer supported by Yaesu.

They have a reputation for being unrepairable - they are very complex - very dangerous (350V on 3000MFD of electrolytics) - can evaporate a scope probe - BUT I have repaired close to 50 of them.

The red lamp is the 30VDC @16A out and the white lamp is 13.8VDC @ 3A out.

Bob, W1GWU

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  3. KC5SAS

W9GB,
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to get it on the bench later this week with another ham buddy and we are going to open up the case and take a look. Maybe we will find the capacitor blown and, if so, a replacement online. If we don't find the problem or don't feel safe working on it I going call the original owner back. He spoke to me last night, had no problems with it for 15+ years and is surprised that I've had it less than 3 months and already had this happen. He said that if I can't get it working to let him have one of the repair gurus in his radio club look at it and see what they can do.
    In the mean time, I have a MFJ 4245MV switching power supply on my desk. I'm wondering if there is a way to run the FT1000MP Mark V off of the MFJ PS. I'm going to have to do a bit of Googling and see what I can find out.
    Again, Thanks and I will let you know if I get it repaired.
    Steve, KC5SAS

EDIT- After a bit of internet searching it doesn't look like my 4245MV will do the job but there is an Astron model available as well as it seems that FP29s pop up for sale quite often. So I have options.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve -

The “Issue” are the DC Power requirements of the FT-1000 “Mark V” 200W HF transceiver.
    BTW ... this is one reason (30 VDC power) some radio amateurs avoid this model.
    Not ideal for Field Day power substitutions when the SMPS “goes south”.

F897048C-EF5A-4C06-A6FA-EF090054FF1C.jpeg
    NXP (former Phillips) BLF-147, MOS-FET, 28 VDC, current pricing $120 each.
    https://www.rfparts.com/fileuploader/download/download/?d=0&file=custom/upload/File-1376355977.pdf

The NXP BLF-147 MOSFET RF transistor is rated at 150 W (PEP), in SSB class-AB service.
    Yaesu created this 200-Watt MOS FET Final Amplifier, by using a pair of these Philips BLF147 Power MOS FETs, in a push-pull configuration at 30 Volts DC.

In order to replace tbe Yaesu FP-29, you would need a regulated 30 VDC supply with at least 16 Amperes of current just for the Power Amplifier and a 13.8 VDC source for the receiver, digital control circuitry, and exciter/driver portion of the transmitter.

That is why the Yaesu FP-29 is a crucial component of these Yaesu FT-1000 200 Watt models.

My ADVICE, you have three choices (unless you sell radio & FP-29 “AS-IS”)

1.) Contact Bob, W1GWU to determine if he is still repairing the Yaesu FP-29.

2.) Contact Yaesu USA Service and Repair in Southern California.

3.) Find a competent Yaesu bench technician that has previously repaired these Yaesu FP-29 switch-mode DC supplies. SMPS service HV experience important. References recommended.
    ==
    Yaesu USA Service Center Request
    https://www.yaesu.com/?cmd=ContactUs&DivisionID=65&InquiryType=8

Yaesu USA
    6125 Phyllis Drive
    Cypress, CA 90630 USA
    Telephone: 1-714-827-7600

gb

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    KC5SAS likes this.
  5. WD8BWW

WD8BWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you work on your FP-29 be very careful! There is 300+ volts on the big brown electrolytic capacitors on the front end. Even if the supply does not come on they are most like charged to full voltage. Also if you plug in and turn the power switch "on", turn it off and unplug it and let it sit 15 minutes minimum before you touch or handle the PC assy shown in the picture. Even then I check the voltage with a volt meter before working on the board. Never use a scope on the assy without an isolation transformer and a rubber pad there are multiple points that are not grounds that look like grounds. Switchers, not just the 29, are complex and dangerous to work on. Be careful!

WE4E and KC5SAS like this.
  6. KC5SAS

Thanks very much for the words of caution. I will be careful. I am probably going to call the Yaesu Service center and find out about getting it repaired through them.
    In the mean time I have managed to find another FP-29 on sale, bought it and am using it. It cost me $300 which appears to be a decent price based on other sales of that same power supply. So my radio is back on the air. I want to get the old FP-29 repaired so I can have a spare should this new (to me) power supply have a problem in the future. I haven't been successful in contacting Bob/W1WGU to ask him about repairs. I don't know if he's still doing them.
    Thanks for any and all advice. It is very useful and is appreciated.

Steve Raacke, KC5SAS

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Repair may cost more than you paid for the "new" (to you) supply, and depending upon the age of the unit, Yaesu may decline to repair it. They aren't like auto manufacturers that are supposed to carry replacement parts for ten years; they typically only do repairs one or two years after a model is discontinued. Your only option may be an independent repair facility. If you wish, contact N6AX for info; his e-mail is on his QRZ page. His repair AND shipping may be less than you paid for a replacement, and would likely be less than YAESU's price.

8. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu FP-29 Power Supply, Additional Notes
    by Jim McCann, VA3CR
    http://www.va3cr.net/markv/FP-29/FP29.htm
    SAFETY NOTE: Troubleshooting this unit should NEVER be attempted without an isolation transformer - signal grounds exist that are 165VDC above AC line neutral. Other voltages exist on exposed parts that exceed 300VDC.
    EXTREME CAUTION should be used, and only by EXPERIENCED troubleshooters / bench technicians.

Jim hosts the Yaesu FT-1000MP and Mark V Support Page
    www://http.www.va3cr.net

9. WD8BWW

WD8BWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FYI--I repair a couple of these FP-29s a month now. I have been able to purchase new replacement components, except for transformers. Typically repair on a dead supply with a blown control chip, is around $120 plus shipping. Turn around is a few days. I have also rebuilt power surged-lightning damaged supplies for less than a used one costs.