Yaesu FP-1030 Power Supply Help

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC3EDP, Sep 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC3EDP

KC3EDP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm trying to connect a Yaesu 857D to the above power supply. Anyone know how I remove the knobs from the FP 1030?

I have the supplied DC cable that came with the 857 with "rings" on both + and -

But I need to remove the knobs to attach the rings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Those aren't really "knobs," but I see the problem.

With some of those binding posts (which is what they are) if you turn the plastic tightener very, very hard counter clockwise, they'll actually unscrew all the way off. That may take a tool or very strong hands. However, I've also seen some that won't come off at all, as the threaded post they're screwed on to is not threaded all the way to the end.

If that's the case, you have a couple of choices: Remove the circular terminals you have and install U-shaped terminals ("lugs") instead which can just slip over the post and have the tightener screw down on it. Those are available all over the place, even Home Depot has them (usually) in the electrical department, in a little box or bag of six for a dollar or something.

Another way to use those posts is with "plugs" that fit the circular center hole of each one. There are such plugs, and that may be what Yaesu intended to be used. These are often called "banana" plugs and they're springy so you can push them (hard) into a mating receptacle and they'll be retained there by design and won't fall out, and make good electrical contact once they're in.

In any case, no reason not to use a perfectly good power supply just because the terminals don't mate up. Change the terminals if needed.

3. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good advice above^

I'd also add that most binding posts have a hole drilled through the threaded conductive shaft. If that's true with your power supply then you can cut the ring terminals off your power cable, strip back about a quarter to half an inch of insulation from each wire, thread them through the hole in the conductive shaft and tighten down the binding posts to securely clamp the wires.