Yaesu FL-2100B Question

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W9BKR, Jan 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. W9BKR

W9BKR Ham Member QRZ Page

Have an older 2100b and it is wired for 110VAC. The power cord is 2 prong. Should I use 3 prong and if so, where might I add the cround to the cord?

2. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You will have to use a 3 prong plug and add a green wire to the ground and tape it along the original cord an ground it to the chassis or else change the cord to a 3 wire cord.

3. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you do swap to a 3 wire cord, the green(ground) wire in the new cord should be bolted directly to the amp's chassis.

4. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I did exactly that. New 3 prong cord from Home Depot, ground wire direct to the chassis. Been working great for a couple of years. I see about 300V drop from RX to full output TX on 240V feed.

5. W9BKR

W9BKR Ham Member QRZ Page

kinda what ai thought. Wasn't sure with these older amps

6. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, older AC powered gear with 2 prong cords were generally equipped with a ground lug on the rear of the chassis. The expectation was that the user would bond that ground lug to a station ground to provide shock safety in the case of something like an internal AC bypass capacitor short to ground. If you read the user manuals for older gear you'll generally see a requirement to externally ground the gear before using.

In modern 3 wire AC supplied gear the ground wire is integrated into the line cord which really is safer as you don't have to remember to bond the chassis to ground and you have a grounded chassis every time the gear is plugged into a grounded outlet.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, ground was different in the old days as there was more grass and less cement.:)

VE3TMT likes this.
  8. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in Britain we have had 3-wire mains leads since WW2 . . .

But I occasionally had imported Yaesu rigs with 2-core leads. If you didn't ground the chassis, you would get quite a shock touching it, as there are always .01uF RF decoupling capacitors from each side of the mains to chassis !

Roger G3YRO

N8VIL likes this.