Yaesu digital modes, MacBook Pro and a new FT-991A.

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by VE3GZB, May 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
  1. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

I have no problem using a new FT-991A with Windows 10 desktop system and programs like FLRig/FLDigi or WSJT-X. No problems at all.

On a MacBook Pro with the latest MacOS (whatever animal they call it now, it automatically updates itself), even if I install the drivers from Silicon Labs:

https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

....I find that on the MacBook I can only receive the audio on the waterfall display. I cannot transmit (no keying of the transmitter, no RF output). I have no CAT control, no synchronization of mode or frequency changes and FLRig complains there is a communications error.

If I try to run WSJT-X or FLDigi without FLRig, the problem remains unchanged.

If I disconnect the 991A from the MacBook, plug the USB cable into the Win 10 box, everything digital runs perfectly, so I can't condemn the USB cable or the radio.

Has anyone encountered such problems and discovered a solution?

If this virus stuff lets go, I'm hoping to take the 991A and the laptop up north for a cottage rental time along with a Buddipole and see what I can see up there. Although I can still work phone, it would be nice to see what digital modes can be received up north.

73s,

2. VE3GZB

3. N2TPA

N2TPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I am having the same initial issue as you were, even after using the new driver. Its strange since I can manually tun the radio to the data frequencies and WSJT will decode the messages. The codec is working fine for audio input and output. I dont get it. I have the exact opposite problem when using raspberry pi. I have CAT control but I dont have the Audio Codec. Its really strange. Do you have any suggestions? I am running OS X 10.15.4

4. VE3GZB

Regarding Raspberry Pi, I'm sorry. I don't think I can be of help. That's another universe of computing. 73s