ad: chuckmartin

Yaesu bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by AF6CO, Mar 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. AF6CO

AF6CO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone using bluetooth with their mobile radios?
    How well does it work and would you spend the money on it again?
    I just installed a FTM-400 in my truck and I'm wondering if it's worth the time and money.

K4AGO likes this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Driving safe is always worth it.

3. KS1G

KS1G Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used a cell phone bluetooth headset (Motorola Voyager Pro) with my VX8 HT. The 2 issues were finding a headset that would work with the Yaesu bluetooth implementation and dealing with wind noise. I have had very good luck with the Motorola headsets, and the talk button works as a PTT switch. Wind noise won't be a problem for you unless you drive with windows open. I put a foam cover over the headset and it generally worked for me up to 15mph (at which point I need my lung capacity for pedaling, not yakking). I did notice the mic gain menu setting had to be changed between the headset and stock Yaesu mic to get a good audio level based on over the air tests.

I don't know if Yaesu has modified their bluetooth stack to work well with more headsets. An FTM-400 group (check groups.io) may have current info on what works.

4. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In a few states the Blue Tooth option may be the only legal option; unless you pull over an park when it's your turn to check in to the COVID 19 net.

5. K7CCB

K7CCB Ham Member QRZ Page

I myself would not buy it again. No radio controllability just various cell phone head sets will work. And even then only some of them. Their blue tooth is a older version and a fair amount of the high end head phones that use the newer blue tooth are not compatible.

6. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

It depends on the headset and the Bluetooth profile.

I have several FTM-10SRs on my motorcycles. Each is equipped with both a BU-1 and a BU-2 Bluetooth module (in the control head and main chassis, respectively). If you select one of the broadcast bands on the radio, it puts the Bluetooth module in Stereo (no mic input) profile. Select an amateur band and the Bluetooth module is put in Communications (monaural, w/ mic input) profile.

Where it gets fun is when the various helmet-mounted headsets come into play. Depending on firmware version, J&M's Elite series may not renegotiate a link correctly when switching between pairing modes, and this is dependent on whether they're talking to a BU-1 or a BU-2. I have the accessory Yaesu Bluetooth mic/headset setup and may rig it in a future helmet; likewise with a Sena or Cardo unit.

So...if a given headset won't work correctly with the BU-1, I can pair it with the BU-2 via the FTM-10SR's pairing menu. If Yaesu ever catches up to the rest of the market and offers a compatible BU-3 module, I'll try one with my later model headsets and see.