Yaesu ATAS 120A on a Mag Mount????

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by G0YAP, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure what instruction set comes with units sold in the UK, but mine specifically said it needs a solid DC ground to operate. One of the trouble shooting tips is if the motor does not operate properly is to ensure a good DC ground exist.

Secondly it needs a very sturdy heavy duty mount to withstand the mechanical and wind forces, and the instructions specifically say DO NOT USE MAGNETIC MOUNTS.

Hope that helps.

2. G0YAP

G0YAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope..did,nt say that when I got mine...ok..think I,ll give the mag a miss. Just thought it would be kinda ok for the odd journey in the van but best stick it on another gutter mount. That'll please the boss. Appreciate your input.

Ian

3. N2ZNC

N2ZNC Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried using it on a tri-mag mount and it does work. However, the motor operations became a little touchy and I ended up going with the K40 mount. This is the best mount for this antenna. It allows a solid ground to the vehicle and is incredibly strong.
    So I would recommend "not" using a mag-mount.

4. G0YAP

Thanks. I,ll keep my dosh in my pocket and use a gutter mount. Cheers. Ian

5. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It'll tune just fine but don't put more than 50W through it on 40m or you'll find you get all the issues associated with common mode such as mike bite, RF on the audio or transceiver resetting. I had a Little Tarheel II on a triple magmount on the roof of my MK3 Mondeo. Couldn't run more than 50W on 80m without it rebooting the radio every time I keyed up. On 20m and up I didn't notice a problem. However I drilled a hole in the roof and the thing worked infinitely better and I could punt 200W through it with no problem.

I find the comment about the tarheels quite interesting. The Little Tarheel II main body isn't that much different in height than the ATAS 120 but it performs a whole lot better, especially if you stick a 6ft whip on it.

6. KK4HP

KK4HP Ham Member QRZ Page

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is there is a remote chance that it can become dislodged from the vehicle by a heavy gust, road debris, bird strike etc. and that that point it becomes a deadly object. Don't know what the laws are like in the UK but in the U.S. you are liable for damage & injuries in cases like that. Consider the Diamond K400 mount before a mag-mount.

7. G0YAP

Thanks guys,

This kinda confirms what I was thinking..again the possible parting of mount from car body would be a worry, I had a bird hit my vhf/uhf antenna and it broke it (and the bird). I can see the mag mount and the rf feedback issues. I,m going to forget the mag idea and just go with a gutter mount which I should be able to leave on my van when not being used.

Thanks to you all.

Ian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.