Yaesu ATAS 120A on a Mag Mount????

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by G0YAP, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. G0YAP

G0YAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Folks..

Just a quickie... can anyone tell me if my Atas 120A will work on a Tri Mag? ( Mag Mount with 3 magnets). Can,t seem to get an answer from any dealer.

Regards and Good Wishes for 2012.

Ian
    G0YAP
    Diss
    England

2. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

It is already one of the lossiest screwdriver there is. Mounting it on a mag mount will only make things worse. I know you didn't want to hear that, but the truth is always best said.

3. G0YAP

No a Yaesu Fan then:(

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Right. And a SkyNews home dish works better than the Arecibo antenna in Puerto Rico. :)

-Will an Atas work on a Trimag mount? Of course. It's just there are better ways of mounting for efficiency.

5. G0YAP

Not A Fan Then...

I have found it to be an outstanding antenna and have worked the world on it running only 70 watts mobile ( No Kilowatt amps here) Some of us don,t want to drive around with basket ball poles on our vehicles..we have things called wives that like to park in multi storey car parks.. that Atas is neat and works good enough for me thank you..now if anyone out there can answer my question..I,d appreciate it.

Ian

6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

crossing posts... Yes.

7. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

YAP, you can diss Alan's site all you want. What he said is fact and has been proven. Plus mag mounts are a horrible way to get on HF. There is almost zero counterpoise with a magnet. You need direct contact to the metal surface of the vehicle.

I know there are those out there who love their ATAS antennas, and there are those, who have used others and found them to be superior. I'll take my N9JMX Screwdriver any day over an ATAS. But ... don't use magnets.

8. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Each, and everyone of us, has to choose what level of performance we're willing to sacrifice. For me personally, mobile operation is a passion towards excellence, therefore I won't settle for mediocrity!

Until recently (≈2009), the ATAS was the largest-selling, screwdriver type antenna in the world. Yet, performance wise, it isn't nearly as good as a common hamstick. But... It is easy to install, whether it be a mag mount, or the usual method, a K400 type mount. Although common mode current flow is a mainstay, few owners complain as long as they can work a few DX stations—a common reference, albeit meaningless.

So, if you're satisfied, great! If there is a plus side, it is the fact you'll want more performance down the log, and what monies you've already spent will be for naught. Your choice.

9. G0YAP

'Deep Breath'...I know HF antennae won't work as well on mags compared with a solid earth.. I have my Atas on a gutter mount but I was gonna use it on my works van on the odd journey.... but before I fork out £40 on a tri mag all I wanted to know is will it be ok, tuning wise...what I don't need it someone knocking the stuff I,ve got. It would be great to have a massive antenna costing £100's but the Atas was in the deal with my radio and I,m happy with it. I cannot afford massive screwdriver antennas like the Tarheels..I also think they are bloody ugly and would not drive round with one on my vehicle..ham radio is not that bigger part of my life..its just something I enjoy between other hobbies and family. When I posted the question on here I was just after a yes or no answer...What I dislike is someone posting comments just saying how #### my antenna is. The trouble with you US guys is I feel you don,t live in the real world..we don,t all have massive real estate, big pick ups and loads of cash. Some of us enjoy Ham radio running under 100 watts and with modest antennae. To me..working a dx station with my 'crap' Atas running 70 watts is much more rewarding than putting a 7 element beam on an 80ft tower..switching on my kilowatt amp and blasting over the band... That said, I appreciate the reply..sort of.

Ian

K2IPH likes this.
  10. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

As long as you're willing to put up with the reduced performance, yes, it will work. You'll lose a few dB more, and how many depends on where you stick it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.