Yaesu 991 USB mic ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by 2E0YMI, Feb 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. 2E0YMI

2E0YMI Ham Member QRZ Page

2. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, the USB on the 991A is a device, not a host. Interesting idea however. The USB connection in the 991A is a "sound card" (audio in and out) and two serial ports (CAT). You could connect the 991A to a computer, and connect a USB mic to the same computer and route the mic audio to the 991A. That also opens the possibility of using compression, gate, eq, etc. hosted in the computer.

There are any number of good and inexpensive plain old analog microphone options that sound good, and the equalizer in the radio is more than adequate.

2E0YMI and PY2RAF like this.
  3. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do you think that?

Frank

4. PY2RAF

PY2RAF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi @2E0YMI

As @WE4E stated you can not; the radio is a "device".

However, the computer is indeed a viable route. With a footswitch!

I'm using VoiceMeeter Banana for properly mixing/routing the signals (mic goes to radio, radio goes to headset phone, etc) and with a very low latency.
    Bonus points: VoiceMeeter is of great help when routing the signals if you fancy digital modes.

This is the current setup that I have here:
    [​IMG]
    I have written an post explaining how to configure VoiceMeeter with 991/A in https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/going-software-defined.650584/

If you are going to go this route, there are a few shortcomings, namely:

* The radio's EQ does not activate if you are using the rear PTT port or Digital Vox (digital vox = USB audio) - The EQ only works if the PTT event comes from the front port (which is not a big deal, because VoiceMeeter ships a way more complete equalizer)
    * No CW feedback in USB audio when you are coding

And finally, if you want to go next level controlling your radio using VoiceMeeter, I have descripted on how to send CAT commands to the radio using VoiceMeeter buttons, so you don't have to fiddle with menus.
    Documented at https://github.com/rfrht/Voicemeeter-FT-991A

I'm positive that there are some learning curve - but it resulted in a comfortable operation here.

And yup, vastly improved both my transmitted and received audio quality, because... Hand PTT and built-in speaker sucks. Those are indeed for emergency of field operation.

Best of luck!

2E0YMI and K6CLS like this.
  5. PY2RAF

An unsolicited feedback.

I'm using a Sennheiser SC-60 headset. More information: https://en-us.sennheiser.com/sc-30-60

My reasoning around this headset:
    • First of all, this is made for voice communications, not for music
    • Provides environmental noise cancelling in transmitted audio
    • Professional grade
    • No-BS/snakeoil claims
    • Gentle head/ear pressure, sits lightly over your ears
    • Foam cushion - does not cook my ears like those with faux leather or 'gel'
    • It is lightweight. Can wear it comfortably for hours without fatigue
    • Provides volume control plus TX mute in control box in the cable
    • I had a cheap Logitech USB headset that made all kind of plastic cracking noise when I moved my head - The Sennheiser is silent.
    • Heck, it looks nifty!
    • Reasonably priced
    • And with a footswitch or vox mode (and being able to mute it in the cord)... Look ma, no hands!
    Strongly recommend.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    WA9SVD likes this.
  6. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope... Won't work. Gotta go through a computer to make it work with a USB mic.

7. G0CNN

G0CNN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi, I saw your reply on this thread and thought you may be able to assist with my connection of a Sennheiser SC-165 headset (virtually the same as SC-60) to my 991A. The SC-165 comes with a 4 pole TRRS 3.5mm jack and I'm presuming your SC-60 is the same and you haven't gone down the USB/PC connection route? I've made a conversion lead for the 4 pole 3.5mm to the 991A RJ45 mic connector. Headphones work fine, as does the PTT switch I've also wired up, but I can't get audio out of the SC-165 mic. I've got tip/1st ring as headphone audio, 2nd ring as GND and the sleeve as Mic. This config works fine with my studio mic from my FT-5000 (GND & mic connections), but I get no audio from the SC-165 mic. The headset works fine in a PC, so I know it does work (it's new). I've tried increasing the mic gain to max on the 991A as well, but to no avail. I've emailed Sennheiser support asking for the impedance of the mic. Any ideas as to the cause of my problem/solution? Thanks! Ian G0CNN.

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why do you think it would improve audio? If you figure out a way to use a PC USB mic for the rig what you'll have is a cheap mic. If you want a good mic, buy a good mic; don't fool around with the stuff people use when playing Fallout online. ;)

KD8QBW likes this.
  9. N1YR

N1YR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not familiar with the equipment, but based on your testing, immediately two questions come to mind:
    - Does the microphone require bias voltage to produce sound?
    - If yes, is there bias voltage coming from the radio port and your adapter?

10. PY2RAF

Hello there Ian!

I checked your headset specs - So the headset provides a fully analog signal via the 4-pin TRRS, and you have either the option to use it in any 4-pin capable receptacle or connect to the A/D box - which will transform it to USB.

However, the SC-60 is digitall all the way. I'm driving the 991A via the PC. So the diagram is: USB headset - PC USB port - PC does sound processing - sends the audio to FT-991A via USB port.

The SC-60 is not connected directly to the 991A, sorry to disappoint. The entire enterprise is described at https://github.com/rfrht/Voicemeeter-FT-991A

If interested, fetch my e-mail in my QRZ account and get in touch!

Best regards;

- RF.