yaesu 897D out of band transmit

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KJ4ETV, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KJ4ETV

KJ4ETV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi guys I got a small problem just got my new radio and found out that I can't transmit out of band. Our local EMA repeater needs this to work. I put everything in right but im still gitting a TX error. Can you help? Thanks Frank (KJ4ETV) :confused: :confused:

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

It is illegal to use amateur radio equipment to transmit:

1. "Out of band" (Except on MARS and CAP frequencies when licensed and authorized)

2. "On an EMA repeater"

... but you already knew that right?

:confused:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  3. KC8QVO

KC8QVO Ham Member QRZ Page

First of all, what EMA requires the use of out-of-ham-band operation? Are they not running on the ham bands? In which case, do they have a commercial license to operate in that spectrum?

Second, ham rigs are not type accepted by the FCC to operateout of the ham bands. For the most part the reason is the ham rigs are not channelized. You can adjust the frequency anywhere. Commercial rigs are programmable to certain licensed frequencies (channels, talk groups, etc). Another factor is the bandwidth of the radios in use. There are different types of FM. You will be able to communicate with most of them, unless they are digital or encrypted, though.

In any event, the FT-897D just needs some solder pads connected with a blob of solder. I forget which ones. Check the mods.dk site. They are supposed to have "resistors" across them, but the resistance is so low that a blob of solder does the same thing.

Steve, KC8QVO

4. KC8VWM

Amateur radio equipment simply does not meet the type accepted "emissions standard" for out of band operation.

Emission standards exist because it is possible to cause interference with other services.

That's why amateur radio is neither designed or type accepted to operate on public service frequencies and explains why it's illegal.

Similarly, it's illegal to drive on the public highways with home made headlights. This explains why they have ANSI DOT standards in place for headlights on motor vehicles. It's because this enhances driver visibility while driving and thus at the end of the day serves to saves lives (from a proven laboratory testing analysis perspective.)

Similarly, radio communication equipment must also meet certain standards and especially when used in an public service capacity involving people's lives. (The lives EMA exists to protect)

Amateur radio equipment simply doesn't do the job in this area. Too many things can go wrong in terms of maintaining "reliable" communications. This is one of the reasons why "channelized" operation is one of the specified criteria involving the acceptable "standards" category of public safety radio equipment.

Think about it... Accidentally bump the VFO on your non channelized amateur radio equipment while treating a patient, or passing a critical piece of traffic information, and the message isn't received or transmitted and someone dies as a result... ...Make sense?

Amateur radio equipment doesn't somehow exist as a cheap alternative for proper type accepted professional radio communication equipment in public service any differently than the idea of attempting to drive using homemade tires on public highways.

There's no problem with EMA having amateur radio capability. But amateur radio having out of band EMA capability is surely a problem.

5. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a common misconception. HR equipment can not be certified because it has the provision to be "frequency agile". It really doesn't matter how good or pure the emission is, or whether it is dead on frequency and within the specified deviation. Some ham radios actually may have as good or better technical parameters, but even that will never allow them to be certified, due to the frequency agility.

In the past, some manufacturers used virtually the same RF chassis for their part 90 and amateur equipment. The only difference was in the way the frequencies were selected or stored.

Joe

6. KC8VWM

Joe I think I covered that aspect in my post.

VFO's are extremely frequency agile. For amateur radio use that is a plus, however for public service operation that is an extreme minus.

My Best.

7. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

I see your a Tech class! At this level, you have not been in the hobby long enough to see the limitations.
    Look at the rules to see you cannot use your equipment to go out of band.
    Nearly all modern Ham radios are programmed 'not' to transmit out of band as recieved new in the box. If you do any mod to allow it, you are outside the Law.
    Other posts has told you why.

8. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

not at all, it is quite legal
    to change your radio
    so it can transmit outside the ham bands

mac

9. KC2TEN

KC2TEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct, you just can't use it outside of the allocated bands.

10. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

You radio is smart enough to know you can't legally transmit outside of the ham bands.

Study the rules, and you will be, too.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.