ad: ARR

Yaesu 8800 vs 7800

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by W8GTF, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. N8NNE

N8NNE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello David (MME) and Tim (WAG).

I was reading your takes on the comparison between these two fine rigs and couldn't agree more. Your conclusions are the same as mine, right down the list. I just thought I'd chime in a note of support.

PS David, I was a bit freaked-out when I saw your callsign. Strange that we both feel the same about the same gear....notice my callsign

73 de N8NNE
    Rus :eek:

2. N8MME

N8MME XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow...neat. When I first saw your callsign, I thought that somehow mine had ended up mis-printed. I hope to run into you on the bands some day and we can exchange QSL cards. :)

73 de N8MME

3. N8VM

N8VM Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course, another question to ask is how much longer either of these radios will be in production before they drop it in favor of a D-star unit? And how much extra will they charge for it? I am interested in the 7800 myself, but D-Star is starting to take off where I live and I am reluctant to spend a couple hundred dollars for a radio that may soon become obsolete. :(

4. KD6WAG

KD6WAG Guest

People thought that CW was obsolete way back when. It's still used by amateurs today!

If you think that FM mode amateur radio is "gone by the wayside," only to be replaced by "D-Star," think again. It will be here in force long after your children's children have passed on. If you want the 7800, buy it. You'll use it until it wears out! ;););)

5. KC2PMW

KC2PMW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks!

Thank you for all of the input. I am just now making that decision and will go with the 7800. I had kind of settled on it for price reasons, but this just re-affirms my decision. Backlit, large buttons are ESSENTIAL when in the car at night. Crossband repeat may have been cool for HT ops at public service events, but in the long run, I need to be able to operate the actual radio in a emergency/public service situation. Maybe as a base radio later on in the grand scheme of things...

6. SV2HWR

SV2HWR Ham Member QRZ Page

i got ft-8800 and i am looking for hidden menu how can i get to it??
    anyone who knows please tell me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.