ad: ARR

Yaesu 8800 vs 7800

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by W8GTF, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W8GTF

W8GTF Ham Member QRZ Page

Realistically, does the 8800R have enough bells & whistles to justify the extra coin over the 7800R?

I know several people who have 8800's & 8900's, and all of them basically refuse to admit the 7800R even exists. I want to buy one of those two radio's (7800R or 8800R) within the next 6 months. I'm just trying to find out if the features outweigh the extra cost of the 8800R.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  2. K8WPJ

K8WPJ Banned QRZ Page

That's 7800R, not 8700r...

Also, I looked at both radios over the counter at AES wickliffe when I was last up that way in April, and from my discussions with them at that time, the big difference between the two, was crossband repeat.

Do you need that feature? Go with a 8800.. otherwise go with a 7800.

3. M3ONL

M3ONL Ham Member QRZ Page

The only difference between these two rigs is the crossband feature, personnaly i would'nt pay the extra for an option i probably would'nt use. That is the question you need to be asking yourself "how often would you be using the crossband feature".

Adrian

4. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats not the only difference but I get your point.
    The 7800 does not have dual receive and that is a big deal to some, not me but some. As far as the two radios go they are both good radios and Id save a buck and go with the 7800. Also you mentioned the 8900, I know about six local ops that have had problems with the 2m portion of the radio going bad. It will receive but not transmit. Besides what good is 6/10m FM.:p;)

5. W8GTF

Thanks for the input. For me, the 8900 isn't even on the radar.

6. K9ROO

K9ROO Ham Member QRZ Page

I was thinking about the 8900, will Yaesu replace the radio with ease or is it a design flaw?

7. W8GTF

Thanks for all the input guys. For me, I kind of want the dual receive.

I think in the next few months I may start shopping for a used 8800.

8. KB3LAZ

Thats cool, I hope you like it. For all the more I use the mobile I think Im gonna pick up a 7800.

9. W8GTF

For me, I want the 8800 for a base unit at home. So I think the extra bells and whistles will be a good addition.

10. KB3LAZ

AH, yep that makes sense. If were using it for base I may just do the same thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.