Yaesu 857d Zebra Stripe Problem Fixed?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AJ2I, Oct 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Part Number is Q7000428
    This is $80 part apparently available on "open market" .
    So far NOBODY mentioned HOW it supposedly be installed in the control head.

BUT if it is separate piece of hardware it has to have SOME means to install it, right?

So back to "speculations".

"We oughta get a CLASS ACTION SUIT Against Yaesu for this one! LAWYERS??"
    It has been suggested many times, so far no takers.

The "problem" is - at least in automotive cases - it better be "safety" related to have some change to succeed.
    Perhaps being advertised as mobile rig , no I have not look if that is so, and failing mostly when used mobile...false advertisement ?

But I have also heard that Yaesu blames it on "LCD manufacturer defect" .
    Normal - blame it on somebody else ...

2. VK4XJB

VK4XJB Ham Member QRZ Page

The lcd is as per the photo in the link I pasted. The ribbon is stuck to the lcd. There is no compression fitting for holding the ribbon in place. The frame the lcd sits in stops it from moving around and is screwed to the pcb. It does not clamp the ribbon. There are also those that blame the chip in the ribbon and claim success with a hot air gun.

When I was looking the replacement was the pcb + ribbon + lcd as a unit. Replace everything inside the head unit.

3. AA7EJ

"When I was looking the replacement was the pcb + ribbon + lcd as a unit. Replace everything inside the head unit."

Do you have a part # .
    I have been looking at the link I posted and it does iidetify many parts of the LCD , but I do not see the "PCB" nor "ribbon to the controller.
    I actually cannot identify any electrical parts , nor their connections , just mechanical layout.

There is a "T9207025" "wire assembly " which "COULD" be the ribbon cable in question , but the connections are not shown.

4. VK4XJB

Can not find the original information I had. Thought I had saved it. All I remember is the price being a bit above $200 usd. Bit more googling and came up CS2140401 as a possible number for the 3 pieces combined. As well as even more comments about the ribbon being bonded directly to the lcd and more complaints about the chip in the ribbon.

5. VK4XJB

Found it. This is from 2 years ago and it was a few $ cheaper than I remembered.

Part Number Description Cost Qty NOTES
    CS2140401 AH007M000 PANEL-UNIT $179.99ea 1 In stk

6. AA7EJ

Good and bad.
    This part # does not jive with anything in the llnk I posted.
    Perhaps it is after market sub-assembly and that is why you and I are having little difficulty corresponding.
    No problem.
    Our - your and and mine objective is to find or verify that the "issue" is indeed in connection to the LCD glass substrate.
    I won't get too upset if it is not.

KD4TWJ advertised here, way back, $80 "display " for sale, unfortunately the e-mail he posted bounced back.
    I may shoot him a snail mail.

I may send another note to the OM who "repairs" them here.

73 Shirley