ad: UR5CDX-1

Yaesu 857d Zebra Stripe Problem Fixed?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AJ2I, Oct 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. AJ2I

AJ2I Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking to get a new 857d.

Was the Zebra (lines) in the display problem ever fixed?

Or if I buy a 857d today will it only be a matter of time before the issue develops?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  2. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

No
    Yes

3. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Going by memory [ dangerous ;) but something like the connector ribbon either end can fail , with 857 , 97 there is a typical .
    If you soldering skills are up to the task , some have repaired there screens .
    Also there was a [ limited ? ] aftermarket swap , do not have link , sorry .
    From what I saw on this was some flexing issues / maybe mobile jarring could cause connection issues .
    It might be possible to also do a preventive measure , electrical U/V adhesive applied to ribbon at both ends , of corse this could create issues with any movement .
    But especially with stripes already happening , then if reflowing solder fixes , then using adhesive .
    If I had seen enough of these and as a test to confirm I would like to try ?

4. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't believe it's truly inevitable, that every single FT-857 will exhibit the issue. My personal FT-857D, I think manufactured in 2006, has been continuously installed in either of my 2 vehicles since I purchased it used about 10 years ago. It has lived in desert heat, Michigan winters, and plenty of rough terrain in between, and the display works just fine.

You might direct your question to WD8BWW, as he seems to have acquired enough experience with the problem to advertise a repair enterprise. He probably has figured out the root cause of the display problem, even if Yaesu has or has not.
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/yaesu-ft-857-lcd-display-zebra-stripe-repair.589845/

Either way, if the FT-857D is the radio you'd like to own, I wouldn't let the display issue hold you back. It's a great rig to use, very capable and rugged, in my opinion.

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

KJ4VTH and AJ2I like this.
  5. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW, my FT857D has been in regular use for over ten years and occasionally leaves the shack or car for a SOTA activation, it has no zebra stripe problem, and I have not heard of anyone around here who has had the problem.

SA6CKE likes this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I also used two 857D's over the span of about a decade, and neither did the zebra stripes. One was used in a daily-commute truck.

That said, there are far more capable radios available these days for the money. Unless you really want an analog conversion receiver, you might keep shopping.

7. VK4XJB

VK4XJB Ham Member QRZ Page

My small sample says that radio does not have to be mounted in a car to do it's zebra impression.

Mine has never been installed in a vehicle and some days with out computer control don't what what mode the radio is set to a and some days have to guess at the frequency. Another I know of which has never been installed in a vehicle is useless without any kind of computer control. The 3rd zebra I know of it's screen is too far gone to be useful and it was used in a car.

With older 857d I am thinking of more dead filters than I am thinking of zebra impressions. Was going with the idea the screen problem being heat related. From memory mine was hitting at least 45c just on receive in summer. We were spending time at 38c inside the house. I ended up adjusting the appropriate service menu entry to make the fan a lot more aggressive. The number of dead lines changes as the radio warms and cools.

8. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

To much heat & movement create cold-solder-joints .
    But the display / head board does not create much heat , vs. the RF 100w board cooled by the fan .
    Not that a bad connections at the display are not affected by expansion / contraction from temp. changes .

9. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Gentlemen,
    this "issue" has been discussed more often than SWR, diploes, balums and counterpoise - all added together.
    It is a design flaw manufacturer never publicly admitted and it generates steady "revenue" of around $300 a pop for replacement. You figure it out ...
    Everybody is free to speculate why zebras appear.
    Only the person who re-installed the LCD substrate to the PCB , not just replaced the control head , and make it work is qualified to pass a real judgement.
    Rest of us can make choices - $300 or else.
    There are always an options - keep speculating is not one of mine.

73 Shirley

10. VK4XJB

VK4XJB Ham Member QRZ Page

On receive only the 100pa is not generating any heat and the fans are not coming on. Mine started the day at 20c and after being on the last few hours the front of the case is 38c and back of the case 37. The front of the radio is warmer than the back of the radio. No transmit = no fan = no cool air flow through the radio. On receive mine runs about 10c above ambient.

That is a 18c temperature change for the radio over the course of today. The number of dead lines changes with smaller variations in temperature than that.

Yeasu (for want of a better word) glued the ribbon to the pcb and to the lcd. Moving the ribbon makes lines come and go. Which is enough to make a person think the connections either end of the ribbon are failing or the chip in the middle of the ribbon possibly has bad joints. Does a really good impression of intermittent joints that are affected by both movement and temperature.