Yaesu 857d software

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by EA5IZO, Jan 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. EA5IZO

EA5IZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have just got back into amateur radio after about 20 years absence and my xyl has got me a Yaesu 857d. I downloaded dx Labs commander to run the rig but it seems very lacking in facilities unless I’m missing something. Ideally I’m looking for a programme which will run on a Windows laptop to change the settings in the radio, modify the memories, and allow me to run the radio from the computer (big fingers and small buttons don’t mix). Additionally a log built in, manual or semi automatic would be perfect. The cheaper the better but something that will actually do the jobs I want is important.

Any suggestions and advice would be much appreciated.

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The FT-857D's CAT instruction set provides only limited access to the radio's settings. There are undocumented CAT instructions that provide read and write access to settings stored in the radio's electrically erasable programmable read only memory (EEPROM), but updating this memory too many times can cause failure, which renders the radio useless.

Be careful in your choice of transceiver control application.

4. EA5IZO

EA5IZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh heck that’s not good and first time I’ve heard it. Basically all I want to do is add, delete and amend frequencies etc in the memories and run the radio from the computer. That seems pretty standard with all systems. Maybe I better forget using the computer, I certainly don’t want to damage the radio.

5. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

DXLab Commander does not use those undocumented CAT commands, and thus cannot damage your radio's EEPROM. There are other transceiver control applications that avoid the undocumented commands as well.

Commander does not use the radio's memories; it provides 10 banks of 10 memories of its own for you to use.

6. N4JVP

N4JVP Ham Member QRZ Page

By experience with the FT-897D I have found the undocumented CAT functionality is not consistent from rig to rig. Is there any reason to believe the FT-857D behaves any differently?

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Who knows ?

That is why they are undocumented. Use at your own risk.

Even Chirp will let you make a brick using experimental radio drivers. At least they warn you.

When the warning says "Are You Sure" , Think about it. ;)

8. SA4MDN

SA4MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried chirp and other software on mine but found them lacking and confusing, went with RT Systems in the end and can copy stuff from 817 to 859 or the other way round in no time, so both radios have the same memories in, so much easier.