Yaesu 301 HF Transceiver

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W2WDX, Jun 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W2WDX

W2WDX Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got another one of these. I had one a few years back, but sold it. I happen to like these little radios. Besides it matches my venerable FT-221R 2m all-mode and the YO-301 scope I have. The 301 is small for an older gen radio, but powerful. When aligned properly they perform very well. Simple to use. Even has a fairly good IF shift capability, something rare on a radio of this vintage.

This is the one without the digital display, since those LED display modules are hard to get these days if they fail (and they do). It has the external amp on the back though, so it's rated at 200W PEP input. I have to go through the radio and do a good alignment before I get it on the air.

Anybody else like these little gems? Sure ... newer radios have more features, but I'm a vintage kinda guy who hates menus. HIHI.

2. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

A friend had one back in the 1970s and I used it quite a bit at his place. He had it mated to a Collins 30L1 and a small tribander. He worked a lot of DX with it. Always liked the appearance of that radio. His had the digital readout

3. HB9PJT

HB9PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

Always wanted one when I was young and there was not enough money. 15 years ago I bought one nice looking second hand. I was very disappointed and sold it a few days later. Large signal handling on 40 m was very poor at 40 m. Working that band in the evening was not possible. The VFO irritaded because I had it to turn the opposite way. And other points.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

4. W2WDX

W2WDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah ... the receiver needs to be aligned perfectly or signals can sound like they are overloaded, particularly if the BPF or Premix Unit are out of alignment.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had the QRP version of the FT-301 for several years...trying to remember the nomenclature, maybe FT-301S or E or something.

Same rig, just without the 100W PA section, so it ran 10W PEP output power.

Very nice little rig, I liked it a lot. It was my favorite "Field Day" rig for a few years, as we always ran battery power/QRP for FD.

6. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FT-301S. I had one too.

I liked the way it worked but mine had a problem with going into oscillation on certain bands and frequencies. I talked to Yaesu service about it and they said it was known for that if not...something just right. This was in the mid 80s I believe when I had it, or late 80s, so I don't really recall. I know I didn't ever fully correct the problem and did eventually sell it. I'd kind of like to have another that's working properly, just for fun. Mine was the analog dial model too. The digital QRP one was the FT-301SD. I think it ran about 10 watts output, which was very noticeable compared to the 2-3W out of the Argonaut 509 I had owned previously.

7. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

6C70A3EE-B4DC-4FEE-AF14-2016AAB795BD.gif 9AD36B56-1BF9-43A9-9817-E83576C73F6C.gif
    ELcon Engineering designed a replacement Digital Display for Yaesu FT-301D
    https://shop.elcon.ch/yaesu/anzeige-modul-fuer-yaesu-ft-301d-_pb-1542-ersatz_-.htm

Documentation
    https://shop.elcon.ch/media/docs/el-31_v2.0a_en-2.pdf
    ===
    Earl Andrews, VE3AB has parts and web pages dedicated to this Yaesu model.
    He stocks the TA7089M voltage regulator, used in this radio.
    http://www.earlandrews.com/FT301A.html

JAN Crystals is providing replacement crystals, BUT their price will be $30 to$35 each.

John, WA1ESO makes extender boards (Service necessity) for Yaesu FT-301.
    His Tempo 2020 transceiver extender cards have been very popular.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  8. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Quartslab is also providing rocks for these.

I have 5 of them plus a number of accessories. Both of my analog rigs are going to be sold, and a "parts only" digital model will meet the 90x modules stash then be turned into a receiver to run with one of the two remaining transceivers. As with the "receiver", one or both of the transceivers will be converted to use an 8.9875MHz IF - allowing for a much wider selection of OEM and aftermarket filters.

The overloading bit can be cured with a front-end redesign, similar to what was done between the FT-901 and FT-902 models.